Would this happen in your home town?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On buying some coffee beans in Lichfield today, the lady has no change whatsoever so I suggest she puts it under the counter and I'll come back later with the right money.

"Oh no , take the coffee with you , I know you'll come back with the money"

How refreshing :Salute :coffee

Wouldn't happen in Birmingham I promise you.

Aye people round here are good. If they know you the place I go for my lunch often writes it down for me and I pay when I have some cash.

Went into a local machinery hire place wanting to buy a set or Torx keys to dismantle some electric clippers at work. They didn't have any to sell, but handed me a handful from the workshop and asked me to bring them back when I had done. Didn't know who I was at the time, never even took my name. :D

Hahaha!!, ....That happens all the time over here, especially in my village. Ordered a take-away from my local Pizza place the other night, as i put the phone down, i realised that i didn't have enough cash to pay for it. So rang them back, to cancel. After i explained, they just said ''No Problem'' just drop the cash off, the next time i'm passing !!! Needless to say they got there cash the following evening as they opened.

But it is a common thing over here. Family reputations are Very important to them, so if you say you'll bring the money later, your families name is at stake as far as the locals are conserned.

Having said that, even had the same thing, but on a much grander scale in Jeddah Saudi (around 1980/81). When i was looking round for a decent camera and found one . I told the shop owner, I'll be back at the weekend to buy it, he just rattled something off in Arabic, put the camera (Olympus OM2 + W/Angle lens) in one of their bags and said, you take now, ... bring money weekend!!!! Don't think they would be that trusting ...even here in Cyprus ...lol!!

Blymey , he didn't know you are a Scouser then
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

I think it depends on where you are. I spent 20 years in a little village in West Yorkshire, shopped with the same shop every day, no problem with paying later.

After all they know who you are and where you live :)

HOWEVER dont try it with your local Major supermarket.

I think its the same as any business, you need to build up a relationship.

Would you extend credit to a cutomer you have never seen before ?

Would you extend credit to a frequent customer who always pays as soon as they can?

Aye people round here are good. If they know you the place I go for my lunch often writes it down for me and I pay when I have some cash. Went into a local machinery hire place wanting to buy a set or Torx keys to dismantle some electric clippers at work. They didn't have any to sell, but handed me a handful from the workshop and asked me to bring them back when I had done. Didn't know who I was at the time, never even took my name. :D
but i take it you took them back though pache :)