ELECSA position regarding calibration

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springcrocus

Reaction score
Had my assessment today and only had one non-conformance. My calibration certificate for my main tester was out of date. Although I maintain a regime of interim checking of my Megger 1552 using the CalCard, the assessor said that, athough they previously didn't bother about this too much if alternative written records were available, they now require your main tester to be calibrated annually.

There have been a few threads discussing this need for calibration but maybe ELECSA members are not aware of this less relaxed approach to calibration.

Now, who can calibrate my Megger quickly for a tenner? :p

Interesting...

During my last NICEIC inspection, (mid December approx 1 month ago), obviously my test instrument accuracy procedures and calibration records were inspected..

I have a multi function meter

and a separate Earth loop/PFC meter

Both which go for formal calibration,

For my ongoing checks I have a Socket & See CB100 checkbox

and a Calcard.

I use the Calcard for on site daily / weekly check's as appropriate

and I do my own routine 3 monthly check with both the CB100 & calcard

A combination of these and my calibrated meters provides sufficient confirmation of ongoing accuracy.

NOW from a past assessment couple of years ago I was advised annual calibration was not necessary so I have adopted a two-yearly formal calibration of the main two meters...

These are due up this February 2011. So during my last inspection the certificates available for my assessor were both dated Feb 2009.

My last assessor, (a person i had never met before),

was in perfect agreement that my procedures and methods were reasonable and adequate to ensure ongoing accuracy.

Whether the fact I was cross referencing with Two meters and a CB100 check box made any difference I don't know...

But again it was implied that annual calibration for a sole trader where only one person is using and looking after the test meters is not an essential requirement.

Ongoing daily/monthly checks are essential.

From one of our previous threads it was quoted that 80%+ of meters going back for calibration require NO adjustments!!

:Salute

Read ELECSA's own website
"Insulation and Continuity test instrument accuracy and consistency monitored using the

CalCard Ext1 in line with these instructions will be accepted by ELECSA assessors. As this

product is guaranteed for 3 years ELECSA will accept a 3 year period between formal

calibration of the test instrument."

I think that the ELECSA position is that, with a mulifunction instrument, you also need to consider RCD tests. This cannot be achieved by just testing the same RCD as the parameters of the RCD may change.

Anyway, time to part with some more hard-earned money for bureaucratic reasons.

Had my assessment today and only had one non-conformance. My calibration certificate for my main tester was out of date. Although I maintain a regime of interim checking of my Megger 1552 using the CalCard, the assessor said that, athough they previously didn't bother about this too much if alternative written records were available, they now require your main tester to be calibrated annually.There have been a few threads discussing this need for calibration but maybe ELECSA members are not aware of this less relaxed approach to calibration.

Now, who can calibrate my Megger quickly for a tenner? :p
my test kit gets tested every 2 weeks (or weekely if i get time). passed assment last nov no problem. its calibration was expired by 9-10 month

but my testing does go a bit further than a basic calcard... ive got 6 resistances for continuity, 5 for IR, 2 different sockets for Zs (first & last of radial) and always the same RCD for trip times

Spring,

I had my annual assessment in December with Elecsa and he DID accept my Calcard readings, and will do for another 2 years if required. There not after precise readings, more consistency. A few ohms out doesn't matter as long as your regular readings are generally a few ohms out in the same direction.

And dont forget to label a socket in your garage or somewhere out of site as "Calibration reference" or similar for your RCD tests.

Dont know why Elecsa rejected yours and accepted mine. :C

Dont know why Elecsa rejected yours and accepted mine. :C
Paul, I suspect this is one of the things that is left to the discretion of the assessor. My chap is a decent bloke and very helpful, so I'm not going to make a fuss about it. Getting it done in February will mean that the calibration is still valid when I get my next assessment in December or January so I will get two years for the price of one. After that, the tester will probably be on its last legs anyway.

Sorry for butting in here :coat , but what is a "calcard"?Many thanks!
calcard

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Paul, I suspect this is one of the things that is left to the discretion of the assessor.
have to disagree with that. the assessor should be assessing to set standards. not his opinion/beliefs. if Elecsa say it can be upto 3 years, then one assessor should not be saying its not.

I like what you're saying, Andy, but phoning ELECSA to query the matter puts me in an invidious position. I think discretion is the better part of valour in this instance.
Print out the statement off their website that I linked! Can't really argue with that!

Print out the statement off their website that I linked! Can't really argue with that!
I already have, Patch (post #4). I think the statement applies to continuity testers and insulation resistance testers only, not to multifunction testers.

I already have, Patch (post #4). I think the statement applies to continuity testers and insulation resistance testers only, not to multifunction testers.
This is the basis of one of my arguments with regard to self checking. To be fully sure you need at least 4 independent devices however, these cannot replace full calibration and full calibration cannot be undertaken without inbetween verifications.

Latest posts