Business in Audio/Visual installs?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxmeister

Reaction score
Been thinking of moving into this field for a while now, does anybody have any pointers/advice?

Are there any courses that are specifically suited to this type of install?

Im an industrial installation spark with some background in domestic and power generators for 12yrs, fancy a change and interested in my sound systems etc, hoping its a good business venture to look into.

Any info/advice appreciated, thanks. :Salute

It's pretty much all I do now, but I was in the industry 20+ years ago and have gone full circle back to the start

It depends at what level or area you are thinking about, for higher spec Home Cinema it would best if you had a background in this area (even if only as a serious hobby), but for Mr & Mrs Average domestic, TV's on wall, TV distribution, network cabling it's not so complicated (you could cut your teeth on this), however some of the menu features on current kit can be complex only because the vendors are now integrating so much e.g. Internet, 3D, iPlayer, DLNA, calibration, iPod etc etc

If you want to go for the full blown training then look at the CEDA site, some courses cost money and best left to when you are generating an income from this field. Some of the AV trade distys run courses, and these can count towards CEDA accreditation. Many have open days and invite the Vendors who will take you through their products often with useful techie stuff. And there is a good AV forum (yes another good one), you could learn much from reading through threads on there.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions and I'll reply where I can

Robo,

would a lot of these courses be almost out of date the day after you have done them and your cheque cleared though?

I dunno,

I just thinking about the rate of change these days,

bear in mind I dont have/want an ipod,,,,,,,,,,

Robo,would a lot of these courses be almost out of date the day after you have done them and your cheque cleared though?

I dunno,

I just thinking about the rate of change these days,

bear in mind I dont have/want an ipod,,,,,,,,,,
Steps, well the good bit is .gov has not made up any regs in a book costing you

On a serious note, some of the courses can be expensive, but the principles of sound are tied to physics (whatever Russ A%%%% might have you believe), it's simply a case as usual of deciding if a particular level CEDA accreditation is going to help you close more business. With my typical client base they would likely think CEDA was a tree.
CEDA ??????

I take it your not a member!! you may want to use CEDIA :slap Sorry mate could not resist ;)

Both IMO are as much use as a chocolate fireguard and you would be better off getting courses from the manufacturer as CEDIA membership is stupid money for what you will get out of it.

If any of my clients ask if I'm accredited I say no and that

CEDA ?????? I take it your not a member!! you may want to use CEDIA :slap Sorry mate could not resist ;)

Both IMO are as much use as a chocolate fireguard and you would be better off getting courses from the manufacturer as CEDIA membership is stupid money for what you will get out of it.

If any of my clients ask if I'm accredited I say no and that

I did music and audio electrical systems at university then got a job as a video conference engineer in London as a trainee. Been in the AV industry ever since.

Possibly this training did not teach you how to read the dates on various correspondence, letters, emails, forum posts etc.? Replying to a thread such as this, that is over three years old carries negligible value. You comments may have been more appropriate in an Introduce yourself post. 

Doc H

Status
Not open for further replies.