Vauxhall combo 06

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REECEW355

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just picked up a 2006 combo 1.3 cdti. 98,000 on the clock.

It shows the car/spanner symbol which as far as i know means its due for a service?.

It puffs out a fair bit of smoke, or so i was told on driving it home, expected to an extent under boost!.

At idle with the bonnet up there is a noticeable tapping sound which dissapears with a few revs but is clearly heard as it winds down and settles.

It will get a decent service asap but thought i would get a few opinions first.

Thanks

I have an astra with the 1.3cdti on a 57 plate. The spanner light comes on now and then, sometimes goes off again, sometimes I take it in and they reset by plugging in and resetting alarms. Quite smoky too when cold but no noises like yours.

Mines a '55 1.3 combo and it smokes quite a lot so I wouldn't worry about that. Mines suffered with egr valve problems (getting clogged up) but a few tanks of injector cleaner sorted that out. Good service should sort it out though

I can't answer your specific car, but most modern cars allow you to plug a diagnostic tool in to interrogate the engine management computer.

The professional ones that garages use are expensive, but I bought one for

I have a Vauxhall combo and had the same light come on for no reason the other day, thinking it was for the service warning, I looked it up in the manual, the light is actually something to do with engine managment, switched engine off and back on again, and it hasnt returned since. Can't explain why it came on but I used to drive a Vauxhall corsa and this had an equivanlent light which came on quite a lot as the engine struggled if you were in the wrong gear or trying to go up a steep hill in 5th gear with all your gear in the back! Maybe its something not running smoothly as you appear to have identified which is causing this

I used to drive an astra and light used to come on when I breaked. Took it to garage they said it was faulty brake light switch, they changed it and off I went. Didn't get far and it happened again. Turned out the brake light bulbs were out. Lol

I have no idea of the service intervals on these models.

Run a diagnostic by all means but ask what method

the guy uses. It could be a four line reader and unless

he is on his marks, he may miss something.

The advanced methods use a picoscope attached to the

engine probes but this is the heavy artillery of the car

engine diagnostics range.

Once you have found a good diagnostician, do not lose

him/her.

I have had this problem on my Combo for the past 4 years.

Took it to a auto electrician who said there was a sensor attached to the brake pedal which was a pig to replace. So just ignore it.

Occasionally the spanner light appears and a quick tap on the brake pedal with my foot (left to right direction ) immediately clears the problem without the need to stop the van.