Deterring Cat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 year old she tabby cat. Speyed and keeps herself clean but has taken to crappin in one particular spot in the carpeted (unfortunately)conservatory. Also does it in it's usual flower bed in the garden as well. Sometimes it'll go from the house through the cat flap then out through the second one and onto the garden. Other times out into the conservatory and straight to it's new preferred spot! Seems to make no difference whether its day or night. Came to a head this morning when the wife grabbed it out of the conservatory and it pi$$ed all over her all the way out into the garden! :slap

Do any of the spray deterrents work? No doubt it'll then find a new place IN THE HOUSE!

(My preferred solution was to take it to Build a Bear and have it stuffed but the wife and kids wouldn't go for it!)

If the cat really is 20 has it been checked by a vet recently?

Some old moggies tend to go a bit senile. What is more likely is something like arthritis making the cat stiff and sore so she finds it painful getting through the catflap and outside. A thorough check up and possibly a trial on anti-inflammatories may help.

They are creatures of habits, so will go back to the same spot. A really good shampoo of the area can help.

I suspect an underlying cause.

If the cat really is 20 has it been checked by a vet recently?Some old moggies tend to go a bit senile. What is more likely is something like arthritis making the cat stiff and sore so she finds it painful getting through the catflap and outside. A thorough check up and possibly a trial on anti-inflammatories may help.

They are creatures of habits, so will go back to the same spot. A really good shampoo of the area can help.

I suspect an underlying cause.
Yep, she's really that old. She turned up on the doorstep in September 93. How do I know that? because we have to buy it birthday treats EVERY F***ING YEAR! Was living in our neighbours front garden (the cat, not me) and I made the mistake of petting it and letting it in. That same night it slept on our bed. Wasn't a kitten when we got her and she turned up with hers stitches still in her side which she let us take out. Developed v.bad breath 18 months / 2 years ago so I paid for 3 teeth to be taken out and full bloods. Came back aok with slightly elevated sugar levels from memory but the vet reckons that could have been through stress. She's allergic to the feline leukemia jab. Her face swelled up the first time and the vet said no way. Second time face and head lost all definition so we were advised not to have it / boosters. Yep, we reckon senile. Will attempt to jump up onto the chair for instance then not make it and hit the deck with a thud.

have you thought about a litter tray?

or do you just not want it inside?

that i suppose is one of the things puts me right off cats people encouraging them to dump inside ,

but, its different, when its simply not able to get outside.

have you thought about a litter tray?or do you just not want it inside?

that i suppose is one of the things puts me right off cats people encouraging them to dump inside ,

but, its different, when its simply not able to get outside.
We have one of those enclosed box type litter trays with a flap on the front & a charcoal filter on the top. I've watched it enter it head first keeping the flap open, dig a hole with it's front paws and leave it's ar5e hanging outside the box! I don't think it helps as where it keeps going the wife has a line of potted plants. I reckon it's smelling the soil etc and thinking it's a reasonable place to go. Going to have do ditch the carpet and go with some lino short term. She also has a marble sized lump on her back where the tail meets the body. The vet has said if it's not worrying her then to leave it. I wonder if she goes out and the first cat flap hits this lump and hurts her so she's put off going through the second..................s@d this getting old for a lark!

Came in tonight to 3 piles of cr@p FFS! It's the drink talking but as a humane deterrent I'm considering a strategically placed break beam detector linked to a car washer bottle pump running off a 12V Yuasa from an emergency light fitting! What to fill it with though..........thinking white spirit with a Swan Vesta and sand paper rig on the cat flap! Hey presto rapidly moving garden light show! I'll admit it got a little inhumane towards the end!

Pint of water and bed now methinks!

:good night:

Last edited by a moderator: