Programmable Room Thermostat - Preference?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
What's your favourite programmable room thermostat? I'm thinking domestic use before any of you commercial boys jump in!

I'm a big fan of the Honeywell Chronotherm range, especially the CM907 (wired) and CM927 (RF). The added features they have give awesome control over central heating.

I'm looking for similar devices to price compare.

For a simpler job the Horstmann AS1/2 have been great as they have massive buttons!

TIA. Dave.

I can't make a recommendation.

But I CAN add a question:

The only ones I have ever used and seen all run on batteries.  That's because they assume all you have is a live feed and switched live out, and you can't rely on the live feed being on all the time (may be switched from the programmer)

Does ANYONE make a programmable room stat that does NOT need batteries?  Either has a terminal for a dedicated L feed, or has a rechargeable battery that's topped up whenever a feed is available.

I just find having to replace the batteries once a year a PITA, not least because the useless ones I have, forget their program every time the batteries go flat.

I can't make a recommendation.

But I CAN add a question:

The only ones I have ever used and seen all run on batteries.  That's because they assume all you have is a live feed and switched live out, and you can't rely on the live feed being on all the time (may be switched from the programmer)

Does ANYONE make a programmable room stat that does NOT need batteries?  Either has a terminal for a dedicated L feed, or has a rechargeable battery that's topped up whenever a feed is available.

I just find having to replace the batteries once a year a PITA, not least because the useless ones I have, forget their program every time the batteries go flat.

In a word, yes. Quite a few.

The Horstmann AS1 is mains powered, and has a backup battery so information's not lost. Their AS2 is battery powered, so uses the 2 wire system, and the batteries last over 2 years. According to their website their new C-stat is also available in both versions and has TPI software - which is something I adore! :)

The Honeywell CMT927 stats I've fitted are battery powered but they've lasted at least 2 years, and give plenty of warning when running low. And settings aren't lost during that change.

The Siemens RDE10.1 I've had in my house since 2006. It's had one set of replacement batteries in 2011! It's programmable but isn't as clever as the one's I prefer to fit. It also gives a change battery window so doesn't lose settings.

I think you must be unlucky! :)