Microwaves

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know why but we seem to be getting through a lot lately. A few years ago ours packed in so we bought a new one from argos - De Longhi. Didnt last long so took it back and they gave me another. That broke so took it back paid a bit more for a Sanyo one. I remember taking out the 3 years cover seeing as the previous ones didnt last long. Anyway it bit the dust about a month ago having lived for about 4 years. After much deliberation we decided on a Russell Hobbs one. Stainless steel, built in convection and grill. Great. Only problem is despit being 900W same as the predecessor, it takes twice as long to actually heat anything up. A reheated dinner usually took 4 mins now needs 8 -9 so its useless.

I took it back to Argos and had a full refund but decided to do some research before embarking on the 6th microwave in a 6 year period.

Any suggestions?

Needs to be:

at least 25L

Stainless steel

900W or more

Not that fussed if its a combination or not but most of this size are.

Thanks

We have a Panasonic 1000w combination stainless steel one, and have had it for at least 5 years with no problems.

We normally knock off at least a minute on cooking times due to most instructions only going to 900w. Its large and we use it as a conventional oven during large family feasts. We roasted a full turkey in it whilst another was in our oven, so can handle large loads.

Link for you to have a look.

http://www.safetysavers.co.uk/p/8537939/Panasonic-L-White-Slimline-Combi-Touch-Microwave-W.html?gclid=COOOvYWOubYCFajLtAodtxwA4g

We are on our second Panasonic stainless one. Previous to that we had loads of various makes. I think the last panasonic lasted about 8 years. 

Without your comment on the makes you've had I'd have said Sanyo. We've had 3 in about 23 years, First was a basic microwave only then combis thereafter including the current (Sanyo) which until a couple of years ago was our main cooking appliance. 

Maybe Panasonic? Makromail are doing  a big'un for £160

http://store.makro.co.uk/c-1049-domestic-combination-microwaves.aspx

I've also used and gotten excellent service from the Co-op electrical shop:

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Small+Appliances/Microwaves/Combination+Microwaves/Stainless+Steel/fd/c/c/c/cl

Go on the UK Whitegoods forum and ask there about what cooks quick etc.

We have an LG which is a combi grill/microwave. It's about 7 years old and even with the attrocious African power quality (190ish vols during peak load times) it's never given a moments problem. We had owned it about 3 or 4 years before we discovered the 'chicken button'. You load a full chuck into it impaled anally on the special wire rack, hit the magic button and 20 mins later you've got the most juicy, succulent chicken complete with crispy skin. Winner winner chicken dinner as they say.