Those Mad Mcb Screwdrivers ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone confirm that the wierd drivers that fit nicely into MCB and RCD  terminals are actually called  "Plus-Minus PZ/SL" drivers.

Having just sheared off the flutes on my fourth one  ( Both sizes)   I was about to order  a pair online but was unsure of the real name of the bloody things. 

It gets worse, I've seen some that appear to be pozi plus minus (usual) and a Philips plus minus! 

Ah  I remember that name now Jono ,  those are the one that have sheared off TBH  .

I'm looking at some german make but they use the name Plus/Minus  and as Wozz says ,  two types, PZ/ Slot    or Phillips / Slot .

So on to the next question ,  which one fits the RCDs properly ??      ( Life used to be so simple)

Ah  I remember that name now Jono ,  those are the one that have sheared off TBH  .

I'm looking at some german make but they use the name Plus/Minus  and as Wozz says ,  two types, PZ/ Slot    or Phillips / Slot .

So on to the next question ,  which one fits the RCDs properly ??      ( Life used to be so simple)
if you have broke that many, then you may be exceeding the required torque value on the MCB's.... ive had mine a few years and never snapped one of them yet. even the flat drivers that get constant usefor other stuff rarely ever break

Both Phillips and Pozi are used!

i have the Wera set...loads of blades and one handle ( got a couple of sets free from Senate a couple of years ago) this contains both flaflavours also I have a small and large Kewtechnik version. Had them for years with no problems

imhave heard them called. FLOZZIs.  And Floppys....not sure about the drivers though!

The requirement for Pozi/Phillips Slotted is determined by the screw in the device.

Schneider, use both Phillips & Pozi +/- in their devices!!!

As to other manufacturers.

There is also a difference between the point angles of a Pozi & Phillips, this causes premature failure of the tips if incorrectly applied.

This was proven when I was working on production & we had automated tightening equipment!

I was looking at the Wera ones on the ECA marketing online doo-dah    but at £ 22  for two drivers  I'll ask at wholesalers TBH .

Sidey , I must be using the wrong ones on the Control Gear Curve boards then as in a year I've had the ends shear off on  3  PZ1 s  and 3  PZ2s  .  These are CK  .   Just sheared off a PZ1 today , hardly been used .   Carp . 

How bloody typical that they use both standards for their screwheads ,   how the hell are we supposed to know which is which . ?

So ideally we need both types of driver for MCBs  .  

Thanks guys. 

if you have broke that many, then you may be exceeding the required torque value on the MCB's.... ive had mine a few years and never snapped one of them yet. even the flat drivers that get constant usefor other stuff rarely ever break
Dunno  Andy ... all my other drivers are years old ...they don't shear off.

The difference is easy to spot Specs.

On a Philips headed screw you have the cross & the slot.

On a Pozi headed screw you have the cross, the slot, & marks inscribed at 45 deg between the legs of the cross, like 4 more almost non existent arms of another cross.

I'll look some pics up & post them if I can.

Here you go, just imagine one of the arms of the cross extending to the outside edge of the screw head.

pozi.gif

There is more to the geometry than just the additional flutes, the point geometry is totally different, and it is not really well explained in this picture, this is just to show the extra lines.

[

Don't like to post this really but, here goes.......

i think CPC have the full sets on offer at about 37 plus VAT, includes # 1 and 2 cross Phillips, ditto cross Pozi, cabinet keys, std Phillips and Pozi and slotted.

i would post a pic if I could be arsed

just calling it my local corner shop

ok then ......slither made the effort so I had to too

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My thanks to Sidey and Kerch    .

From your diagram it seems the boards I fit use Pozi /  Slot  .

Think I'll take the busted CKs back to Electric Centre ...see if they have a better make .  

I've never tried one of these "special" screwdrivers. But the fact someone makes them just demonstrates those heads that are supposed to accommodate either a cross head or a flat blade are just rubbish.

Personally I find a good flat blade always works much better than a cross head (of either type) with no tendency to cam out.

To be honest I find a LOT of cross head screws to be utter rubbish, some not fitting either a philips or a pozi driver properly.

I've never tried one of these "special" screwdrivers. But the fact someone makes them just demonstrates those heads that are supposed to accommodate either a cross head or a flat blade are just rubbish.

Personally I find a good flat blade always works much better than a cross head (of either type) with no tendency to cam out.

To be honest I find a LOT of cross head screws to be utter rubbish, some not fitting either a philips or a pozi driver properly.
Wylex instructions state a Phillips No2 driver should be used on all there terminals.  EDIT, No 2 Pozidrive, not Phillips

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know Philips plus minus existed as well as pozi plus minus, looks like another £9 for another blade for the torque screwdriver! 

Latest posts