Cat Has A Permenant "cold"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a female DSH cat. 

For some time now he's had a permanent cold, she's nearly always sneezing.

Clearly it's not a cold, that just would not go on that long. So what is it? an alergy to something?

My wife thinks we should take her to the vet, but she's an old lady, just turned 19 years old and I know she hates being stuck in the cat basket and taken off in the car.

Is there anything we can get without taking her to the vet? anti hystermine perhaps?

Cat flu is not caused by an influenza virus as in people but something called callici virus and once they catch the infection it never goes away.

I have seen old cats go like this when their immune system is giving up.

Not sounding good TBH, but secondary infections can make things worse so some treatment from your vet may well increase quality of life.

Don't bulk buy cat food..............

Thanks for that.

Yes she is an old lady, and realistically she can't have much time left, but at the moment apart from this sneezing all the time, she looks well and her quality of life is otherwise good.

So you think it's worthwhile getting her to the vet to get this treated then?

thanks.

If its just sneezing then it could be grass stuck up over her soft palate and easily removed.

I'd get her looked at - yes

Just to say the cat went to the VET on Monday.

He diagnosed "an infection" (that sounds like me diagnosing "something wrong" with your wiring)

He gave here two injections of antibiotics (one fast one slow so he said) and some powder to sprinkle on her food each day for a week.

I have to say it's made a huge difference. She's eating a lot more, seems more perky, and is not sneezing anywhere near as much.

Last edited by a moderator: