Question Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
You arrive at a lighting fault in an office there is a 600x600 modular fitting in the ceiling.The customer has changed the  lamps and starters for brand new ones and now none of the fitting works.What could be the problem?

a.all lamps are faulty

b.he has replaced the fitting with wrong starters not suitable for a series circuit

c.he hasn't replaced the louvre causing the micro-switch not to make therefore not turning the light on

d.there is a fault to the whole circuit

I think its c but it does not say anything about the louvre in the question any ideas help please

This is an example of trying too hard to answer a simple question. If you think back to your training prior to this question you will soon realise that its pretty much self explanatory.

Just do not let yourself doubt what you have been taught so far, and each for each answer given try to use common sense and your training to either dismiss it or accept it.

RTQ......word for word.

Have left the third letter out; 

thought that might be advisable.

the problem is the question, the customer could supply alot more information than that which would lead to a answer far quicker.  

What course is this question from?

It does look like people are not comfortable reading questions so lets look at the information provided by the question.

You arrive at a lighting fault in an office there is a 600x600 modular fitting in the ceiling.The customer has changed the  lamps and starters for brand new ones and now none of the fitting works.What could be the problem?

Everything we need to know has been supplied in the question to make an educated guess even before your given the answer options.

In fact I am not going to give you a count by count appraisal of this question but rather open this up and get everyone involved, from the question what is the first most vital point?

Everything we need to know has been supplied in the question

hardly. How long ago was they changed? did they work for a period of time before they stopped working? did they all stop working at once or a few at a time? any other lights effected, other areas? 

The question also has multiple answers that could be correct.  therefore it should have been worded 'most likely' or similar.

Its a poorly worded question, and im perfectly happy reading questions.  

Personally I think the customer is one of the sources of information, if I believe them or trust them is a different matter. 

Information on timeline of events, recent work done and by who.  The amount of times I have questioned a customer and got "we'll actually this only started happening since the plumber did XYZ", I'd be going straight to what ever they did. After you your the  one that's charging for your time with holding info isn't always in their interests. 

Wozz, you and people like you are victims of your training.

In a real world there are many questions you can ask to ascertain where to start. The question given gives all the info required to answer correctly.

As you feel that any answer is possible, let me know what you think is the right answer and I will post why your wrong. That is if its OK?

Victim of my training? You are having a laugh. Why do you feel the need to lord it over me and my training of which you have zero idea in what I am trained to do. 

If you think that is a well worded exam question you are mad. 

So you think I can post a answer and you can say its wrong, so by definition you can make all answers right and wrong. That is a poor question if that is the case. 

You clearly think you hold all the answers so do not respond to my post and I will not entertain your thread anymore. I'm done. 

Victim im still laughing about that. 

I just love how electricians complicate simple questions

Wozz, what planet are you on?

The question is very simple. The client has done what any non trained persons could do, and it still does not work, the only answer is to get an expert.

Now if you feel that I am mightier than thou, for realising this, do not be ashamed many people I have met are of the same disposition.

I actually know a lot about our members, I know that some including yourself are doing extra courses to improve your qualifications.

I am not an idiot by choice :)

Before this gets escalated.

The question is very simple, it asks what you would do. The client on finding a fault does what he can, and that is to replace the items prone to fault. This has not solved the problem.

The resulting fault is that you are now left with a possible fault.

Wozz, I think you are overreacting to your training, your of a higher level than this basic question. I must admit that I am a little bit of a tart when it comes to questions, I can do a two or three hour exam in about 14 minutes, and I never use a calculator because if its multiple choice I can guess the approximate answer.

The last 3 hour exam I undertook I did in 14 minutes and scored 89% .I would hate to think how highly I would score if I read far too much into the questions.

In fact I was once accused of cheating by the C&G, I scored 98 % on one exam I resat the exam with two adjudicators overlooking in 13 minutes and scored 96%.

Like I said I am a tart.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't say none of the fitting worked before the customer changed the tlamps and starters, in fact it clearly states 'The customer has changed the lamps and starters for brand new ones and NOW none of the fitting works.  This infers at least some of the fitting was working before the change of lamps and starters.  In this case I'd go with b

a.all lamps are faulty

b.he has replaced the fitting with wrong starters not suitable for a series circuit

c.he hasn't replaced the louvre causing the micro-switch not to make therefore not turning the light on

d.there is a fault to the whole circuit

I think its c but it does not say anything about the louvre in the question any ideas help please

This infers at least some of the fitting was working before the change of lamps and starters.  
Drawing inferences with C & G questions was always a dubious pastime.

The question could have been made more interesting had the writer

stated;  "The customer has replaced lamps and starters and now none

of the fitting works."

The key words are "....now none of the fitting works."

This means that parts of the luminaire WERE working

before the guy's arrival.