High Rise Flats Communal Aerial Supply.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skillsassessor

Reaction score
Hi, I have been asked to meet an aerial engineer at one of our 7 storey flats on Monday, the 43 flats share a communal aerial system on the roof. The old community room has now been converted in to two ground floor flats, we need to connect these properties to the communal system. Can this be done by tapping in to one of the adjacent flats aerial system or do we have to run new cables direct to the roof areas main aerial hub. This cannot be done externally as the block has been thermally wrapped ( no external cables, aerials or sat dishes are allowed ) and would mean drilling through seven stories of reinforced concrete floors. I have an electrical background but no little about aerial systems.

thank you.

It will be down to the aerial company to install the new aerial supplies to the two flats including the drilling works. The existing service ducts are full. What I wanted to no is it possible to "tap off" an adjacent flats aerial input supply or is the only way to run cables up to the roof aerial. The aerial company have already said the latter is he only way this can be done but I was looking for a second opinion from people in the know if this is actually correct before I authorise this and the cost involved to our organisation.

thanks.

I was waiting for other replies but...................... its not 'the norm' to tap off an adjacent  flat for an aerial connection but your 'engineer' should be able to test the signal to confirm whether this is possible. The other downside is the first flat occupier doing some works (even as simple as decorating)   and cutting off the others.

^^ didn't someone on here do that recently!?

Also is it not the responsibility of the aerial "engineer" ? the last aerial engineer i met couldn't even get a cable clip into a wall or measure the correct length of cable ?

when you say thermally wrapped do you mean wrapped in polystyrine ? could you use adhesive ? lol

I was waiting for other replies but...................... its not 'the norm' to tap off an adjacent  flat for an aerial connection but your 'engineer' should be able to test the signal to confirm whether this is possible. The other downside is the first flat occupier doing some works (even as simple as decorating)   and cutting off the others.
^^ didn't someone on here do that recently!?
You are correct, this thread I believe. http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/23933-basic-question-on-fm-tv-faceplates/?hl=aerial

Doc H.