Itchy Horse!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Zoe's horse has got what she calls "sweet itch" Apparently it is caused by flies or some such. Anyway, there are none about now, but he still spends all his time scratching, he has hardly any tail left and it must drive the poor thing mad....

He loves it when i brush him and the rougher the better. He will still head off to find barbed with to rub on though as soon as you turn him out.

Now, Zoe is into all this soppy "organic" stuff, [read; does not work] Is there anything I can get, that i can put on him, that will kill insects or whatever causes this, without poisoning him???

[bring back DDT i say]

john.....

Sweet itch is a specific hypersensitivity reaction to culicoides midges. If the horse is still itchy at this time of year then its not that.

Horses can get lice and that would be top of the list at this time of year. A few judicious uses of louse powder (available from ag merchants, saddlers and online) may well sort the problem. If it doesn't I'd say it was becoming a vet job to diagnose what exactly is going on.

You can often see lice if you have good eyesight.

Hello, Well funny enough, when i was brushing  him the other day i saw some tiny little insects on him, little tiny things about 25 thou long..... Louse powder is the way to go i think.... Can the horse eat the stuff or lick it though and harm himself??

john

My wifes horse gets sweet itch. This year she bought some SweetItch oil from the Horse of the Year Show a couple of weekends ago. It is in the cupboard for next year

why was she at HOYS?.....because she has bought another foal and went to see its Dad in the championships.....it arrives in a few weeks.....another mouth to feed......OFG!

Never seen a problem with the horses eating the stuff.

The one we get is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battles-Louse-Powder-/161064369336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item25802f3cb8

Use plenty.

For sweet itch the single effective product is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switch-lotion-250ml-Fly-Repellant-Horses-Sweet-Itch-/290535503629?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item43a543f70d

Apply once per week, 2/3ds along back and 1/3 at tail head. The horsey ladies like making them smell of citronella and getting bitten. This stuff works well.

(the active ingredient would kill lice, but it's not licensed for that)

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Wifes offering........
WHAT?

does she still fit in her uniform? 

does she have any kinky boots?

;)

just,,,,,,,,,,  hoping,,,,,,,,,

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Wifes offering........
Makes the horse greasy, and midges don't like that. The oil will nourish the skin. So it will have some effect. If they have mites then the oil will drown some of them.

I'd use the insecticide I listed for the easiest low maintenance option.

(there is also Deosect that I forgot about that you mix up)

Ha Mrs Kerching here seeing what crap Kerching puts on !

My horse does not actualy have sweetitch in its traditional sense but does itch from midge bites under her elbows and along the midline and navel . Apaches very sensible offering (apologies here to the vet ) does not work for mine - other possible remedies _proven for different people include Benzyl Benzoate (available online only now ) but far too strong for my sensitive little flower - what works for mine is Nettex Itch Stop applied more frequently than suggested. Mine was still itching in Nov as midges were defiantely still appparent in our neck of the woods due to mild weather - def not lice related. The oil Kerching showed is def one to try next season for me but will also be useful for the acquired new mouth to feed who will have a certain amount of feather.

For the OP perhaps if it is the tail that is being rubbed without the mane - suggest worming for pin worms which will make them rub the tail area  like mad . Hope all is resolved by now anyway .