Di-Plexed Signal Into Single Unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe one for ProDave, ???

is there any sort of issue in feeding a di-plexed signal straight into a single sat or tv receiver?

or, do I need to put diplexer/triplexer outlet plates everywhere?

on a slight tangent, but related,

HTF do i tell if I have a quad or a quattro LNB ,?

no labels or markings that I can see,

would it make that much of a difference feeding 6 units?

from what I have googled it seems not, but some say it simply wont work, seems to depend on the type of LNB you have,

and there may be a way of turning off the 22kHz signal, but that is probably beyond my capabilities,

BTW, its my own place, so F-ing up is not a problem, [most other stuff is only half finished too!!!!   ]

I have 2 x 4terminal LNBs, but dont know if either is quattro, even if I did, how do I know what output is what?

You can diplex two different tv signals into one tv receiver.

Not sure why you would want to do that? ther's not much if any difference between different regions. Unless you live on the border and want to have the choice between watching ITV and STV.

But you CANNOT diplex or split satellite signals.  This is because the power feed from the receiver to the LNB operates in 4 different modes (a combination of different voltages and the presence or absence of a 22KHz tone) this instructs the LNB to receive high or low band and horizontal or vertical polarisation.

So it must be one LNB connection to 1 satellite receiver input.

As you your LNB if there's no marking then it is almost certainly a quad LNB so 4 outputs, each one intened to connect to one receiver input, and each can independently operate in any mode.

If it was a quatro LNB it would say so. they are much less common and intended to operate with a multi switch for a distribution system.

Plug it into a receiver and try it. If it works, it's a normal quatro LNB

If you want to operate one satellite receiver from multiple LNB's (multiple dishes for different satellites) then you need an LNB switch. Either a manual one, or diseqc if your receiver supports that.

I've got a multi switch, not connected up yet, and currently a sat(or2) and tv running to each room, but, I have another use for the 2nd coax,plus,I don't have enough outputs on a quad lnb for 6receivers.

Basically, if I just want tv or sat does it matter if I have the signal coming from the switch straight into the receiver without a diplex outlet plate?

Ah so you meant the TV aerial is also connected to the multi switch.

If you want to use both you will need a diplexer outlet plate, but of you only want to feed either a tv or a satellite receiver then I think it's okay without.

Ah so you meant the TV aerial is also connected to the multi switch.

If you want to use both you will need a diplexer outlet plate, but of you only want to feed either a tv or a satellite receiver then I think it's okay without.
yep, thats exactly it Dave,

I didnt explain it very well,

the lads room only has freesat, something wrong with the tuner in his tv, it keeps losing channels so just watches it on sat now and there is no room on his euromodule plate to fit a diplex outlet,

I will simply use the multiswitch to lessen the cables required to each receiver, and lessen the mess of cables behind the main tv.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get round to fitting the switch, need to sort out a quattro lnb first though, must dig my box of bits out and check, the one fitted obviously isnt as it drives the receivers currently.

Do you have the manual for the multiswitch?

Some of them will work with a normal quad lnb (by sending the individual polarity and band sgnals to them)

Do you have the manual for the multiswitch?

Some of them will work with a normal quad lnb (by sending the individual polarity and band sgnals to them)
no, thats why I got it cheap,

holy SHAT ,    :eek:

Ive just googled it, I shoulda bought a few of them,

I bargained mine down to 2£ cos the box was damaged and there was no manual,,,

one of these   , but thats not where I got it.

manual says it must be a quattro.  :|

is this the sort of thing I need ?

they are cheap enough, or is that cheap rubbish?

That looks okay for the quatro.

If you have a Sky dish, you will have to do some jiggery pokery to make it fit as they use non standard brackets, but usually can be made to fit.

Let me know where I can stock up on those multiswitches for £2

That looks okay for the quatro.

If you have a Sky dish, you will have to do some jiggery pokery to make it fit as they use non standard brackets, but usually can be made to fit.

Let me know where I can stock up on those multiswitches for £2
I dont know what sort of dish, but I would assume its sky,

whats different? size of mounting?

The thing with Sky dishes, is they are made to fit only Sky LNB's,

The reality is they are not a great deal different.

A standard LNB has a 40mm diameter collar that clamps into the clamp on the end of a standard dish arm.

The sky dish just comes with the arm, a rectangular tube. The Sky LNB has the clamp built in and pushes into the end of the dish arm.

When you look at it, the sky LNB is pretty much just a regular LNB with the same 40mm collar. So use the clamp from the sky LNB and it should fit your quatro.  Sometimes there's a pip moulded into the plastic to limit how much it can turn that needs to be filed off.

Now it's okay if you have a sky dish and a sky LNB.  The "problem" comes if you have just bought a sky dish, and a universal LNB, you will be missing the plastic bracket that plugs into the end of the arm.

ah, good to know that Dave,

I wont have that issue,

I'd say it is a sky dish, I dont remember where [or how] I got it, I replaced the old battered sky dish when we moved here,

and fitted a quad lnb on it a couple of years ago, and its not a sky lnb [i dont think}, I acquired 2 (4 output) lnbs of unknown make a while back,

so Ive maybe already made the mod, I cant remember tbh.

so, WTF does an OCTO do ?  :C

this just gets worse and worse, and Im easily confused,,,,,

ah, according to google its simply an LNB with 8 seperate outputs,

still means I need 2 cables,  1 for ter and 1 for sat.

An octo LNB is just like a quad. 8 independent outputs.

It's arguable that for up to 8 satellite receivers, an octo is the way to go, and only consider a quatro and multiswitch for more than 8 receivers from one dish.

I've bought octo lnb's from ebay for £10 several times.