Wilkinsons Flea Treatment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 8 year old DAUGHTER has, this afternoon started being sick as in five or six times over the course of the evening. She's since been lying watching the TV (laughing at Dinner Ladies), very "with it" and we've done all the usual worrying and checking for rashes, sensitivity to light etc.

Figured she'd maybe had too many sweets today but as we've all had some were wondering if it could be anything else. It's just dawned on me that this morning she was playing with the mother in laws cat. On Thursday morning the mother in law used a Wilkinsons flea treatment on the back of the cat's neck. I picked the thing up this morning and noticed the fur back of his neck looked like it had gotten wet.....then dried. Mentioning to the wife she then said about the flea treatment. The mother in law can't see to well so I guess coated his fur rather than getting it down on the skin etc. When my girl touched the cat this morning we made sure she washed her hands etc.

A bit of surfing and there's a suggestion that the Wilko stuff is in fact re-branded Bob Martin's and there's horror stories about the BM stuff making animal very ill and vets cursing it etc.

Over worrying about my daughter (as if I could)? Needless to say it'll be a trip to A&E if need be.

Agreed! ^^^

I am loathed to go to the vet or the chemist to buy the proper stuff (frontline?) which is like £10 a tube. The guy in the chemist offered me a years supply for £140 I nearly passed out! But it does work.

Also only treat the cat at night when wee man is sleeping so gives it time to dry out.

Hope your Daughter is feeling better Onoff, haven't done an a&e run in a while but remember it well on a Saturday night, thank god for children's a&e.

:)

All good this morning, she's currently charging round the garden like a mad thing! (The cat's OK too). The WIFE had the sleepless night in with her, I just said to wake me if there's any problem. Lovely night's kip in the super king size!  

Just waiting for her teacher to say "It's odd, she's the only one who hasn't got head lice!". THEN we'll know the Wilko stuff worked!  :lol:

Sorry, was out last night so only just seen this.

Not sure what the Wilkinson cat one contains. The dog one contains permethrin that is bad for cats. They use permethrin in some children's headlice treatments so even a small amount from a dog one unlikely to be harmful.

Honestly don't waste your money on 'cheap' flea treatments. Get something safe and effective from your vet!

Frontline isn't much use anymore either - seems the fleas are getting immune to it around where I live.
No evidence of that whatsoever. It's about understanding the products.

Fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline and others) kills by excitement. If you have an ongoing source of fleas (either in your house, car or on a common walk you take) then you may keep seeing these hyperactive fleas dying on the dog. Generally on an untreated dog the fleas move close to the skin and you may not even see them. If there is an established infestation in your house you may get existing eggs hatching for ~6 months.

If there was good evidence of fipronil resistance the other flea treatment manufacturers would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Some flea treatments kill by paralysis (rather than excitement) and people perceive they are doing a better job.