DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Adding A Socket

kraig1

Question

Hi, my brother has asked me to put another socket in his living room. He wants it under the consumer unit which is as far from another socket as you can get. The easiest way to do it would run the cable from the socket and terminate directly into the consumer unit.

1st question Ring or radial, I would say radial.

2nd question,   Can I terminate into the existIng MCB for the downstairs ring circuit or shall I terminate to a new MCB.

Cheers

Craig

11 answers to this question

Hum... have you consulted your copy of BS7671?

If you have space for a new MCB then a new 16 or 20A MCB would be the best choice.

Thanks, would a radial be ok or a ring. it is only one socket.

Does it have RCD protection?

these short courses are teaching them less and less. is it now 4 days?

And don't forget that if you are in England or Wales this could well be notifiable under Part P!!!!!!!!!!!

if he adds a new MCB then if definitely will be

if he adds a new MCB then if definitely will be

Which shows the stupidity of it.

Connect it to the same MCB as an existing ring as a spur, not notifiable.

Arguably do a better job and put it on a 16A MCB as a new radial circuit, phart pheee kicks in.

So we have a rule positively encouraging you to do it the least good way.  Madness.

Which shows the stupidity of it.

Connect it to the same MCB as an existing ring as a spur, not notifiable.

Arguably do a better job and put it on a 16A MCB as a new radial circuit, phart pheee kicks in.

So we have a rule positively encouraging you to do it the least good way.  Madness.

yep, complete madness. wire the socket with a bit of 2.5 and stick into existing 32a, fully compliant, but not notifiable. fit it to a new 16 / 20a breaker and its notifiable... personally, ill take the non-notifiable route, unless there just happened to be unused 16/20a MCB... and a MWC is much easier to do than an EIC...

Thank you for your replies. He only wants it for his fish tank.

yep, complete madness. wire the socket with a bit of 2.5 and stick into existing 32a, fully compliant, but not notifiable. fit it to a new 16 / 20a breaker and its notifiable... personally, ill take the non-notifiable route, unless there just happened to be unused 16/20a MCB... and a MWC is much easier to do than an EIC...

Has the section....... Any work at the consumer unit/fusebox been dropped from the notifiable works list ?

Archived