Heatrae Sadia Electromax - Central Heating Not Working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miluhe

Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a flat which has this boiler and it's worked fine for 2 months. However the CH part has stopped heating the radiators. The thermostat is clicking in and out correctly, the heating on/off switch light is lit but the other heating lights are not lighting up & the radiators are not getting hot at all.

The hot water seems to be working fine. I've tried turning on and off, bleeding radiators, checking mains fuse board...but can't work out what might be wrong. Any ideas???

PS I've no electrical skills beyond basics so not sure where to start.

Hi

I've just bought a flat which has this boiler and it's worked fine for 2 months. However the CH part has stopped heating the radiators. The thermostat is clicking in and out correctly, the heating on/off switch light is lit but the other heating lights are not lighting up & the radiators are not getting hot at all.

The hot water seems to be working fine. I've tried turning on and off, bleeding radiators, checking mains fuse board...but can't work out what might be wrong. Any ideas???

PS I've no electrical skills beyond basics so not sure where to start.
what does the pressure gauge read?

this from the manual http://www.heatraesadia.com/docs/Electromax_-_Issue_6_-_36005918.pdf

The Electromax Domestic Hot Water cylinder is directly heated by means of electric immersion heaters. The electric central heating boiler although housed in the same casing operates completely independently to the cylinder

Apologies for the basic descriptions but not sure how else to explain it without the technical know-how!

It seems to have a wide flat grey cable leading to a grey box with a large red on/off dial which controls the whole unit. The cable leading from this to the unit goes into the Right hand side of the unit.

There are also 2 white cables leading to the right hand side of the unit  - 1 via a timer switch to control the HW (I think as an alternative to using  Economy 7 supply as there is only one meter now) and another which goes direct to the unit. There is also a third white cable going into the Unit on RHS.

The pressure is reading just above 1 and I believe when CH was working it went up to just below 2.

Thanks

From what the bloke in the silly hat states above it would seem that the next step is to actually test something, so I think you will need an actual electrician.

Hi thanks for your responses!

Apologies for the basic descriptions but not sure how else to explain without technical know-how!

It seems to have a wide flat grey cable leading to a grey box with a large red on/off dial which controls the whole unit. The cable leading from this to the unit goes into the right hand side of the unit.

It also has 2 white cables leading to the right hand side of the unit - one via a timer switch two control the HW (I think as an alternative to using Economy 7 as there is only one meter) and another which goes direct to the unit. 

There is also a third white cable going into the unit in the same place.

The pressure is just above 1 and I believe was reading just below 2 when the CH was working.

Thanks

pressure seems ok

According to the manual I saw, there should be 4 wires, a big cable for the heating, a medium sized 24 hour supply cable  for the top immersion heater for boost, a medium sized cable for the timed immersion heater (from your clock) and another (possibly round) cable from your room thermostat. So it sounds like yours is wired correctly.

I would (also) consider getting a plumber qualified to service unvented cylinders, the cylinders should be serviced annually and the vendor might not have had it done.. Electric boilers can be a bit of a pain sometimes when faulty as to whether to call a plumber or an electrician.

I do both but my unvented qualification expired last year and I haven't been back to school to renew yet.

Thank you for your suggestions. I've re-pressurised it and looked at the fault finding flow diagram and think it may be a fuse. I will look into getting someone to look at it and your suggestion as to what kind of person was helpful as so far everyone's said they only do gas boilers! Unfortunately when I contacted Heatrae prior to buying flat they said that nothing much could go wrong with them and it wasn't really necessary to get  them serviced!  They've changed their tune this week when I rang & said the only thing they could suggest / offer was a fixed price one-off repair at £250 as they don't do diagnostic call-outs!

It beggars belief Heatrae would say they don't need servicing, it recommends annual servicing in the manual. If the safety valves do not work, unvented cylinders have the potential to explode. That is why there are multiple levels of safety built-in, and why they must be installed and serviced by people qualified to do so. The most common group of people with that qualification and the experience to diagnose a fault would be gas-safe installers. You just have to persuade one of them to have a look.

The servicing chapter 8 is full of normal stuff for a gas person, the electrical side of servicing consists of four lines, one of which is replace cover.

when you say you have re-pressurised it, what do you mean? The pressure seemed fine at 1bar raising to 2 when hot.

Stop messing about speaking to "heating engineers"

Speak to an electrician and get him around to have a look at it.

I'm also concerned about the "I've re-pressurised it" bit, it sounded absolutely fine, almost perfect as it was.

Stop playing with it yourself if you do not know what you are doing.

Hey Milhu,

I have the exact same issue with my bolier re the radiators - how did you get yours sorted?

Hey Milhu,

I have the exact same issue with my bolier re the radiators - how did you get yours sorted?

If you look at the date of this thread it was January 2016, and Milhu has not been online since the 9 January 2016. So I doubt you will get a reply from him. It would probably be best for you to start you own thread with a new question rather than opening up an old post that was never actually resolved.  

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.