Engineering Industry Training Boards (EITB)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony S

© Honorary Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember them?

I started in quarrying but for some strange reason I came under the glass and ceramics EITB?

As an apprentice I hated filling in my training log books, it was an imposition piled atop all the theory at college!

Theory is one thing, proving you can do the job is another. I used to dread being called to the conference room for my grilling by the EITB assessor, Mr. Crew. He made me squirm with his questions, your foreman would be there as “condemned mans friend”.

Mr. Crew asked me about “mechanically latched starters” at my final assessment. I hadn’t a bloody clue, I’d gone brain dead. I passed but Ted the foreman gave me a clip around the ear as we left the room, there was an entry in the log book about Ellison OCB’s!

I’ve still got my log books, anyone else kept them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone remember them?

I started in quarrying but for some strange reason I came under the glass and ceramics EITB?

As an apprentice I hated filling in my training log books, it was an imposition piled atop all the theory at college!

Theory is one thing, proving you can do the job is another. I used to dread being called to the conference room for my grilling by the EITB assessor, Mr. Crew. He made me squirm with his questions, your foreman would be there as “condemned mans friend”.

Mr. Crew asked me about “mechanically latched starters” at my final assessment. I hadn’t a bloody clue, I’d gone brain dead. I passed but Ted the foreman gave me a clip around the ear as we left the room, there was an entry in the log book about Ellison OCB’s!

I’ve still got my log books, anyone else kept them?

Bet you've never forgot since that day though? 

Still got my log books, also got most if not all of my pocket books from the last 30 odd years.

What are you worried about forgetting??

Funnily enough i threw out my first year portfolio last week. The others were all completed online so no portfolio/log books for me.

No photographs were submitted only your own drawings and descriptions of jobs.

One “phase test” was the repair of a DC motor so one was sent from another division for me to play with. The tradesman I was with at the time helped me unload it from the wagon and then left me to it. Neither of us gave a 2nd thought to how heavy the damn thing was. It was in bits before anyone mentioned it. Very gingerly I took the bits down to the main fitting shop for the rebuild. The electricians shop was on the first floor above the stores. How it didn’t go through the floor in to the stores I don’t know.

Yep, I went through the EITB for my apprenticeship. Mine was mechanical & production biased with welding, sheet metal, electrical and electronic modules. Still using to this day one of the tap wrenches I made and even on occasion the V blocks that we hardened in a cyanide salt bath! Always remember being fascinated by the antidote on the wall.

Got the log books somewhere with hand drawings of all the mechanical projects and even how to splice 7-strand cable etc.

Bloody hell! I’d forgotten about us using the cyanide bath for that job. Somehow I don’t think the HSE would look kindly on 16 year olds let loose with cyanide salts now.

My son went to the same engineering college as me, I asked if he had been in the “power lab”. “Not even the lecturers are allowed in there, it’s a death trap.”

Whimps!

Blueing steel was a favourite. The two options were to go to the chippys workshop and scrounge sawdust or the motor vehicle shop and get some old engine oil. Either was good, leave the heated metal in the sawdust until it caught fire or heat as hot as you could and drop in the oil preferably whilst someone else was carefully blueing their work! Acetylene balloons were fun especially with a Sellotape fuse. H&S? It was a year before we were told that "poofy hand lotion" was in fact pre work cream. Not forgetting everything cleaned in the "Trike" bath with the rudimentary lid. 

Blueing steel was a favourite. The two options were to go to the chippys workshop and scrounge sawdust or the motor vehicle shop and get some old engine oil. Either was good, leave the heated metal in the sawdust until it caught fire or heat as hot as you could and drop in the oil preferably whilst someone else was carefully blueing their work! Acetylene balloons were fun especially with a Sellotape fuse. H&S? It was a year before we were told that "poofy hand lotion" was in fact pre work cream. Not forgetting everything cleaned in the "Trike" bath with the rudimentary lid. 

That stuff was brilliant for cleaning. I swear it used to take even rust off metal. 

Shame it's wildly carcinogenic. 

That stuff was brilliant for cleaning. I swear it used to take even rust off metal. 

Shame it's wildly carcinogenic. 

Used to dunk BY HAND all our soldered tin plate stuff held by fingertips to get the flux off! 

Genklene was another good one for cleaning almost anything off your hands. I tried using it to clean the car engine, it gives off phosgene when heated. Twice I’ve been found unconscious due to the fumes off it, the hangover is unbelievable.

Like trichloroethylene it’s banned.

Yep, I'm another from the EITB ranks.

Being a big co. though we had internal assessors, yes I still have my log books, & the handbooks/manuals they gave out.

Computers! We had a block a limestone, a hammer and a blunt chisel.

The first terminals and networks were just being installed as I came out of my time. One plant had a Ferranti Argus 1000, what a heap of junk that was. Anything went wrong and it was connect the teleprinter and phone Welwyn Garden City computer centre.

I did 3 months at an EITB centre in Sheffield before I started doing electrics.

I'd rather have done 3 months in Borstal.

Toolmakers will never be out of work I was told.

I didn't stay to find out.

It was Grim, Punitive and Depressing to say the least.