Headphone equivalent cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to run an aux input in my car (land-rover Discovery 3)

I know where I can pick up left, right and ground for stereo aux input.

I can find a suitable stereo panel mounted 3.5mm socket.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg08285/3-5mm-jack-socket-stereo/dp/AV15152

I just don't know what cable would be suitable (link to ebay or CPC if possible)

[3 core rather than 2 and a sheath as on standard headphone cable would be ideal]

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a stereo panel mounted socket?

Thanks in advance

Pretty much anything would work. I had a DAB tuner wired to the AUX on the back of the head unit in the van, just used some offcuts of 8 core that were on the floor! Shielded would be ideal as you alluded but for the short distances you are running it over it won't make much difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the money I'm tempted to try. I guess to run it somewhere neat I need between 2 and 3 meters.

I suppose the rougher option is just to feed a 3.5mm jack plug out of the centre dash somewhere and strip the other end and solder in to the plug in the passenger foot well.

It just feels 'rough', but this is a 9 year old vehicle with 215,000 on the clock that is used and abused as a work vehicle.......

@PPP that's no use as there is absolutely no auxiliary supply in the car. I need to cut off a redundant plug in the loom and solder the cable in.

@Blue Duck I can get a bluetooth receiver if I want, but it needs an aux connection to plug in to the stereo. I do have a Parrot, but that is calls only.

I've ordered some random bits last night and will see what I can do. If things come tomorrow I will cut a plug of a 3m jack lead and solder it in as a trial/temporary fix and I have to drive to Nottingham and back on Thursday and Friday.

OK its late....

and maybe I haven't grasped what it is you want to do.....

But is this something to do with connecting audio device onto a bog standard CD/Radio in your car that has no AUX or USB type connections?

One of these little jobbies tunes into an FM frequency via the car radio and plays your phone audio files and answers telephone calls through your car audio with no arsing about with wired connections... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VicTsing-Wireless-Bluetooth-Hands-free-Transmitter/dp/B0183UUWJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485909834&sr=8-1&keywords=t10+bluetooth+transmitter 

I've been using one for ages...

At £15 one of the best cigarette lighter plugged devices you can get IMHO!.

:popcorn

:C

OK its late....

and maybe I haven't grasped what it is you want to do.....

But is this something to do with connecting audio device onto a bog standard CD/Radio in your car that has no AUX or USB type connections?

One of these little jobbies tunes into an FM frequency via the car radio and plays your phone audio files and answers telephone calls through your car audio with no arsing about with wired connections... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VicTsing-Wireless-Bluetooth-Hands-free-Transmitter/dp/B0183UUWJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485909834&sr=8-1&keywords=t10+bluetooth+transmitter 

I've been using one for ages...

At £15 one of the best cigarette lighter plugged devices you can get IMHO!.

:popcorn

:C

I had something similar, until it got broked!!!!!  :(

my mate used to call it the poor mans parrot,  :)

must get myself another now you've posted that up, and reminded me about it, Ive just been using a visor BT thingie since,

but I'd agree, those things are brilliant for the money,

This is what I want to do:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2972.html?highlight=kickpanel

To get Spotify playlists off my phone. Your solution is easy but bulky and intrusive. A 3.5mm headphone jack and later a socket put somewhere sympathetic is neater and more subtle. The higher spec Discos have an aux connection at the rear on the console between the front seats, this taps into the plug that would go to this missing loom, sat under a kick panel in the passanger footwell.

Did you look at the connects 2 ? It plugs in to the back of the head unit (if they are still called that) in place of the cd changer if you don't have one , if you do have one there are alternative products that allow use of the cd changer.

There is another way...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to swap the existing Parrot for another unit I have a Bury Music hands free kit, streams music and does handsfree from your phone via Bluetooth. Was going to stick it up on eBay but it'll be sat here for a while before I get around to it.