DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Paul2129

20 panel commercial use payback

Paul2129

You people are smart ! I just sell carpet, that's easy. You reminded me why I don't do electrics ;)

Thank you for all of your input

Sidewinder
40 minutes ago, Paul2129 said:

You people are smart ! I just sell carpet, that's easy. You reminded me why I don't do electrics ;)

Thank you for all of your input

Hmm,

I had a guy who sold carpet once try to tell me how to fix his machines, and how I was wrong about things, and how his electrical installation was not dangerous, just because it worked.

No test data, or certification to prove that the design was right, or that the installation was done correctly.

Me, I'm still doing the same thing, him, he has a massive carpet store elsewhere, and people working for him now.

So if us sparks are smart, then that is not the be all and end all.

The install was so unsafe, I was on the verge of reporting it to HSE!

However, it would have got me nowhere.

binky
2 hours ago, Barx said:

No I don't. Not if you go by 'official' calcs anyway, which are the 'guide' figure. Yes these figures are usually on the safe side but:

Let's take that you are going to install the 5.4kWp quoted in the original post:

For that to generate 5000kWh per year, each kWp of the system would have to generate 926 kWh per year. This number is tabulated in the MCS guide for given areas of the country and for a given inclination and orientation. It is known as the kK factor (kWh/kWp)

Blackpool drops in the table for manchester which is 7E. Looking at that table, the absolute perfect situation (highest number) would give you 866 kWh/kWp. That is direct south and a 37 to 40 degree incline. So if your 5.4 kWp was facing this way AND had zero shading, you would be quoted 4676 kWh per year.

Now go off to the east by 45 degrees say and that number drops to about 818. Thus if all your system was to point here and NO SHADE. You would be quoted 4417, a fair drop.

At 90 degrees off south then you go down further to about 700 kWh/kWp. Total output would be 3780 kWh per year

I think your installer's number is probably about right to be honest, especially with the shading. Now his quoted usage of that generation could be way off. it's sounds to me like you would use a larger chunk of it and thus more of a saving off your current bill.

Hope that all makes sense. Got a bit carried away.

I forgot you're Up North where the sun don't shine. Don't forget to add export rate and FiT :D. Front roof does have good pitch and is due south-ish.

Whether on not roof tiles will slip is dependent on age and nails used, as it would appear you have concrete tiles, this shouldn't be too much of an issue - they are only nailed eevry third course normally, they work on their own weight to hold them down.

Pigeons have been known to nest under panels if they can fine a ledge, like a cable entry point, but it's fairly rare.