New wylex dual rcd boards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevethespark

Reaction score
I have fitted several new wylex dual RCD boards over last few weeks and when testing the new RCDs are failing at both times 1 and times 5 has anyone come across this issue or does anyone know if there has been a call back on a particular batch ??????

Hhhhmmm  Wylex come from the same source as Crabtree   I believe .   When they were made in Britain they were a trusted brand ...now they are NOT made in Britain . 

Just had our first ever Control Gear   RCBO  fail the  trip test ,   not sure if its  peculiar to their 20A  .    Must have fitted  a thousand million of them  so not so bad I suppose . 

I have changed to RCBO boards now , they are obviously the  better option ,   trouble is my loop tester knocks them out because they're single pole devices .     That was the reason I fitted dual  RCDs before .   

And NO I'm NOT buying another tester .  

I fitted a Hager board yesterday. Not impressed at the RCD trip time (at X1) of 75mS

Is this simply because the bulk of RCD's tend to operate at well below the specified 300ms trip @ x1 for a 61008/9?   (Or the 200ms for a 4239 or a 7288).  The vast majority of RCD's are typically below the 40ms required for the x5 test when doing both the x1 and the x5 tests, however that doesn't alter the fact that 75ms is actually still well within 300ms.

I have fitted several new wylex dual RCD boards over last few weeks and when testing the new RCDs are failing at both times 1 and times 5 has anyone come across this issue or does anyone know if there has been a call back on a particular batch ??????

Are you testing them at the board with all loads disconnected?

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:

have you tried testing at the terminals with the outgoing terminals disconnected?

OP - where are you testing at the RCD or on a live circuit?

I would say that what you are experiencing is either a sign of a N-L issue or appliances still plugged in.