Light fixture hanging down by 1cm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas15

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum here. I have just had a delivery man collect a fridge freezer that was faulty, he managaed to knock my ceiling light in the hallway and now it is hanging down by 1CM around what I believe is called the ceiling rose? I have taken some pictures and they're shown below (unless when I later try to add these it wouldnt let me).

Looking inside the gap I can see wires and I see no visual method of screwing the light to the ceiling at this stage so it must be something further inside. What would you recommend doing to push it back up again? thanks in advance for all and any advice given!

Image 1

Attempt 2 to get image to show:

WCAvfPB.jpg.7f4e1e95ccb1432ad49908a5327a1297.jpg

PS: Sorry for the huge size of the picture, I have no idea why it is so big..but I guess at least you can see the gap I'm refering to clearer :)

Again, thank you all very much for any help you can provide.

turn off power, remove lamp (bulb to most people), remove shade, remove cover from batten, screw back to ceiling (carefully avoiding putting a screw through any cables), then put all back together

if the above doesn't work, try inserting screw in different location - it's a bit like 'pin the tail on the donkey' trying to find a bit of wood or something solid to fix to.

It has either broken the fitting (screws pulled through the plastic) in which case you might need washers under the screw heads as the fixing holes will be enlarged. Or it's only fixed to the ceiling with plasterboard screw fixings that have pulled out of the plasterboard. Best of luck finding a new secure fixing if that is the case.

Toggle bolts (spring toggles) are sometimes the only thing that will work when all else fails (particularly on lath and plaster).

If the ceiling itself has deteriorated leaving limited fixing positions, an alternative would be to replace the whole fitting with a new light that has a larger fixing base...

e.g. a design similar to this £10.50 screwfix lamp https://www.screwfix.com/p/half-circular-ceiling-light-chrome-60w/71298

would allow sufficient width to span your existing ceiling hole,

and be more low profile against the ceiling to reduce the chance of it being knocked again with the next item of furniture you need to move!

Guinness