Mastbruch

Three-Phase

Mastbruch

Just wondered if anyone ever struggled to get their nut around 3 Phase and how it all works because I seem to be.

Is there anything I am missing or why I cant seem to get on board. Just watched the mighty motor with Dave Austin which I am sure is brilliant if you knew what he was talking about but must admit I'll be first at the front of the queue to admit I haven't got a clue.

Sharpend

Ok start from the beginning, what is it that you don't understand about it?

Mastbruch
1 hour ago, Sharpend said:

Ok start from the beginning, what is it that you don't understand about it?

How it works mate. I understand its more efficient, and delivers more power but the fundamentals I'm lacking on.

I know when exams come up I don't want to just know the answers I want to fully understand why.

I suppose just keep revising it and hopefully it will sink in. 

Sharpend

Have a search through the knowledge base section I’m pretty sure our TonyS has put a thing or two in there. Just saves us repeat writing, then if you have any query we can advance your understanding. 

Tony S

Unfortunately I haven’t gone in to basic theory, I suppose I’d better get cracking on it as the next project.

To start it would help to know what Mastbruch understands of single phase supplies.

Geoff1946

There are some pretty good basic explanations in Wiki.

Andy™

3 lives instead on 1. 3x the power. get it wrong and you get a bigger bang. what more could you need to know?!

Sharpend
22 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Unfortunately I haven’t gone in to basic theory, I suppose I’d better get cracking on it as the next project.

To start it would help to know what Mastbruch understands of single phase supplies.

Apologises for causing it more work Tony, that’ll teach me to look first. 

Tony S

Don’t worry about it. Being retired it gives me something to do.

Mastbruch

Thank you gentlemen.

@ Tony I sort of think I know how a single phase work but probably less clued up on that as I think TBF.

Right 'now found some more literature online so I will get my nut down on this for the next 3 hrs then report back what I learned, but don't be surprised if its F.A

kerching

Any help?

Onoff

I've always thought 3P easier to understand.

Think of a motor looking on end. You've the rotor in the centre. That oddly enough rotates. The stator is the bit round the outside and that "stays" where it is.

With a 3P motor you've 3 sets of windings.

To understand the emf I like to think of each winding as a a solenoid spaced 120deg apart as they activate one after the other they give the rotor a little nudge round.

Mastbruch

I would say I revised 3 phase yesterday for a good 4 hrs yesterday learned a bit.

Take a break from that today I think and carry on getting used to working out cable calculations and finding my way through the OSG

I am sure they make that book hard to follow for a reason as nothing seem to come after the other, not sure why theres a line underneath my writing neither 

Edited by Mastbruch

Tony S
3 hours ago, Onoff said:

I've always thought 3P easier to understand.

Think of a motor looking on end. You've the rotor in the centre. That oddly enough rotates. The stator is the bit round the outside and that "stays" where it is.

With a 3P motor you've 3 sets of windings.

To understand the emf I like to think of each winding as a a solenoid spaced 120deg apart as they activate one after the other they give the rotor a little nudge round.

Now that is covered in squirrel cage motors in Knowledgebase.