Transformer Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

111Robin

Reaction score
I have an electrical engine analyser originally from the US. The id plate states 120V, 7A, 60Hz. I was planning to use a site transformer, 240v to 110v, 3.3kva however will there be an issue with the 110v versus the specified 120v and also I'm assuming the transformer output will be 50Hz so will this be an issue also as the unit is specified as 60Hz ?. The unit has a CRT oscilloscope and analogue gauges therefore has to operate with accuracy to be of any use. 

I think it unlikely that anyone here can give you a direct answer. At very least an in depth knowledge of the workings of the equipment would be necessary, but here are a couple of thoughts.  

There is little risk of damage by running it at ~ 10% under rated voltage to try it. Similarly the frequency change shouldn't present any danger.

You say it incorporates an oscilloscope. If this is a proprietary instrument it may well have it's own voltage selector, and probably a rating plate which may indicate if it is designed for 50 - 60 or only 60Hz.

If it has analogue instruments too then presumably there will be some kind of calibration procedure. (?)  There would then be the chance to try it on your transformer and see if it passes calibration; if it does it's OK.