plastic back boxes (recessed) - approved?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikron

Reaction score
We've just recently been able to get plastic back boxes here in Cyprus (they have been exclusively galvanized steel until now).

Are these approved by BS7671?

They have no BSBI marking; just 'CE AP3020'.

There is no indication of the type of plastic; hence flammability, etc. is not apparent.

My photos show a double box, with a very handy, tight-fitting, temporary insert.

As you can see, they incorporate glands (16 & 20mm, not 25), have two adjustable bolt pillars, and no little holes for back-filling mortar/adhesive to weep through. The glands also provide some anchoring in the mortar, irrespective of whether conduit is present.

plastic back-box (1).jpg

plastic back-box (2).jpg

plastic back-box (3).jpg

It is difficult to state if they are complaint with BS7671 as BS7671 only specifies that the products used should comply with an appropriate standard.

It appears the boxes are made of ABS and meet various IEC standards so I would assume they are suitable for use under BS7671, but what types of installation they are meeting the standard for I would not know.

The CE you mention should be the CE symbol of European certification and if it is then it is most likely compliant.

Thanks folks.

The CE mark is visible if you zoom in on the bottom-right of the top photo. It looks correct-ish, but if it was a grey market product, it could obviously be fake.

I am definitely in two minds. I see some benefits.  Over here, with many back-boxes in damp solid walls, and/or with rain ingress through COAX conduits open on the roof, rusting is a common problem - which the plastic would avoid (though obviously not fixing the cause). There are some risks, too, eg. breaking the plastic through overtightening fixing screws or faceplate bolts.

My qualified electrician friend is in two minds, too.

If I find out more, I'll update this topic.