Postman Pat AKA John Cunliffe R.I.P.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Hudson

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/john-cunliffe-dead-at-85-postman-pat-and-rosie-and-jim-creator-dies/ar-BBNCgIQ?ocid=spartanntp

For anyone who has children who left school before all the computer generated animations became the norm, I am sure they will be paying their respects to John Cunliffe the creator of Postman Pat and Rosie & Jim. His writing genius, teamed up with Ivor Wood as Director has produced some childhood classic memories for thousands of children and parents. I am guessing some other more mature members on here who are also parents can quote parts of the scripts from these children's classics, from using the old VHS video cassettes to occupy youngsters whilst you got on with more important tasks around home.  RIP John Cunliffe. you brought happiness to children everywhere, (no mater how old those children were!). I am sure we still have Postman Pat Videos in the loft somewhere along side the Thomas the Tank Engine & Fireman Sam VHS cassettes! Why is it we are NOT allowed to throw them away?

Doc H. 

I think children remember these more gentle but cleverly written programmes more  than the  shoot 'em up more violent stuff that exists today .  

And the creators see them through a child's eyes .  

Another example was Magic Roundabout  ...much loved by children , students & grown ups alike  ,  probably down to the English narration  by  Eric Thomson  ,  who apparently  received the video with no audio  from France and made up his own story from what he saw . 

People like this gentleman create magic with their  stories,  pictures , books & films .   It was more books in my case as we didn't have a TV , so  Wind in the Willows  with it's peaceful riverbank life  where theres "   nothing  quite  like messing about in boats" .... or Just William  returning from school  in his  quiet middle class village , a million miles from Brum,    navigating via ditches etc  on his way to meet the Outlaws in the Old Barn for another adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another example was Magic Roundabout  
Jasper Carrot had a hit with Funky Moped in the 70s

the main reason why it reached number 5 in the charts in 1975 was for its flip or "B" side entitled 'Magic Roundabout'

at the end of the track Zebedee said to Florence 'time for bed'........Florence suggested to Zebedee that he 'pro created off'

I think this expletive was removed from later pressings

not a lot of people know that

Jasper Carrot....

Mid 1970's....

That was the era when you used to by Albums, (LP's Records, 12inch vinyl) of your favourite comedians doing their stage routine recorded live....

people like Max Boyce, Monty Python..... and scrolling back a bit as well Peter Cook & Dudley Moore..  etc..

The age of the comedy Album!

Before the age of VHS recorders and YouTubeing..

We used to learn quotes from sketches from listening to records!!!

And of course including Jasper Carrot "Rabbits On and On and On"

https://www.discogs.com/Jasper-Carrott-Rabbitts-On-And-On-And-On/master/999968

From where Magic roundabout came...

https://www.last.fm/music/Jasper+Carrott/_/Magic+Roundabout

Twas indeed a classic of its era!

Guinness

Max Boyce,
I think I had a Max Boyce LP   AKA  Album    , there was a  sad song called  something  along the lines of   .."  The Pithead baths are a Bingo hall now "  .

And some  Python sketches on reel to reel tape ....where  I first heard the gem  of a joke  which you can apply to anyone you like  (or dislike)  It went along the lines of :-...

"   Did you hear that President Nixon  has been in hospital for an arsehole transplant ? "

" No I didn't ...hows he doing ?" 

"  Ah !     I'm afraid it's rejected him " 

Between 1975 & 1980 Max Boyce had 8 Albums in the top 50...

two in 75    (one reached No1)

one in 76    (No 9)

three in 78  (best reached No 6...  "I know.. Cuz I was there!!")

one in 79     (reached 27)

one in 80    (reached 37)

But nowadays you can't believe these sorts of albums made any sort of impact into the charts... :C

I guess your thinking of..   Duw its hard?   maybe...?

14 hours ago, SPECIAL LOCATION said:

Between 1975 & 1980 Max Boyce had 8 Albums in the top 50...

two in 75    (one reached No1)

one in 76    (No 9)

three in 78  (best reached No 6...  "I know.. Cuz I was there!!")

one in 79     (reached 27)

one in 80    (reached 37)

But nowadays you can't believe these sorts of albums made any sort of impact into the charts... :C

I guess your thinking of..   Duw its hard?   maybe...?

You'll make Sidewinder cry  playing that SPecs !!       I can hear him from here !          Brought back some memories though . 

1 hour ago, binky said:

never hear of Mike Harding these days - saw his Bombers Moon tour live many years ago.

Ah  yess!  Mike Harding .    Anyone hold back a tear  listening to his  " Accrington Pals "       .  About the WW1 regiments  raised  from a localised area  ...but the fatality rate was so bloody high that hardly any were coming back .      There were " Pals"   regiments from all over until they realised and stopped doing it .  

So if you hear the drumbeat of the politicians  calling your sons to war yet again  ...tell 'em  to 'eff off   , we don't sacrifice our sons any more .  

In 1914  the establishment were throwing the sons of the working classes  into the fire of the enemy machine guns by the thousands and we stood for it .  

Imagine turning on the 10.00 'O clock news  today  to hear ..." The battle of the Somme began this morning  and we have to report that  6000 British troops  were killed .    The Army is calling for more recruits to the front line " 

The US Navy  had a similar thing  with about five members of the same family going down with  a ship .    

Last edited by a moderator:

I was a child when these first came out. Fireman Sam was another favourite

There's a more risque parody posted.