Confused

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John smith

Reaction score
So recently I’ve just started my level 2 course and during practical lessons we would just put our wires in random terminals and I know that isn’t right so what would be the right way, also are the numbers above the terminals have any meaning towards this.

Welcome John Smith, (word association makes me think. https://www.johnsmiths.co.uk/please-verify-age/?return=%2F).  Terminals of what?  more detail needed I think. But I assume you should be working to some sort of wiring diagram using recognised components to get a circuit working to perform a function. What Level 2 course is it you are doing? A City & Guilds or is it a private training companies in-house course?

Doc H.

So recently I’ve just started my level 2 course and during practical lessons we would just put our wires in random terminals and I know that isn’t right so what would be the right way, also are the numbers above the terminals have any meaning towards this.

When in doubt can't you just use the following method...

Join all the wires of the same colour together..

Then put each group of twisted wires into each terminal going left to right, (or clockwise if terminals not in a straight line)..

The order you put the wires into the terminals is alphabetical by the colour name..

eg...

1- Black

2- Blue

3- Brown

4- Green (solid )

5- Grey (or slate - see below)

6- Red

7- Slate (or grey - see above)

8- Violet

9- White

10- Yellow (solid)

11- Mixed colours (Yellow/Green) come after solid colours.

12- Bare unsheathed wires are only put into a terminal if there is enough terminals spare.

{some colours with possible multiple names could be located into more than one terminal. i.e.  Grey or Slate)

It could save a lot of confusion..??

:C

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
And why is it so few sparks are capable of wiring under floor heating properly?
DId a UFH 'put right' last year

woman had lived there 3 years and it never worked correctly 

took best part of a day

disconnected everything....took more time sussing where each wire went/what it did, as the wires were not in the right place to start with

worked first time 

Ah   Underfloor heating !!!   I remember a classic design  mistake made  when blocks of flats were being thrown up in this area   ( Most have  recently been demolished again!!)

The flats on the top floor didn't get very warm  although they were identical to all the others  .

The problem was not taking the roof into the equation ...all the others had  warm  flat above  them.