Inverters, I have a friend who has a mobile coffee making small business. He is looking to change from a portable genny to an inverter in this a good

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Young

Reaction score
I have a friend who want to make it easier for him and his portable coffee grinding kit by using an inverter rather than a generator. Is this possible.

yes. but as above, youll need adequate battery capacity to run it, especially if the vehicle drives to a site and will be stopped there all day
Agreed, and you'll probably find ordinary car batteries won't be suitable as they are not designed for constant deep discharge cycling, I can see it getting rather expensive.

Car batteries are lettuced for this type of application, they are desined for a short high discharge, ie starting the engine and not much more. Must use leisure batteries. I would also recommend using a 'true sine-wave' inverter, you can get lots of probems with 'half wave' and 'pretend' sine wave inverters, which are cheaper of course.

You really need to check  just how much power is needed during an outing.

If it's only a grinder, not water heating, it may be viable, but if it's the full coffee making operation I would doubt if you could carry large enough capacity batteries.

You really need to check  just how much power is needed during an outing.

If it's only a grinder, not water heating, it may be viable, but if it's the full coffee making operation I would doubt if you could carry large enough capacity batteries.

they usually use gas for the heating