Dimplex clx n supply voltage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2tall

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have the above storage heater in one of my rental flats and was informed that the overnight storage function wasn't working only the boost part was working.

It has 2 supplies one fused which supplies the overnight storage function and one that's not fused, the boost part. Using my multimeter I get 230 volts at the boost input supply but only 14 volts at the other supply. Theses voltages were taken at the input wires at the wall switches.

Should it not be 230 volts at both inputs?

Many thanks

Martin 

Normally storage heaters are connected to the overnight, lower rate, and therefore you can’t do any live tests until the economy 7 period starts. The 14v you can “see” is induced from adjacent cables

do you have other storage heaters? And is it working?

9 times out of 10 it is the over heat trip that has tripped.  some can be reset, some need replacing.

And 9 times out of 10 it trips because the tenant can't read the bit that says "do not cover" and hangs wet washing over it to dry.

You can dead test the heater with an ohm meter. With it's wall switched turned off you should read about 30 ohms or less between the incoming L and N connections. I bet you are reading open circuit.  It can only be 3 things, the over heat trip has popped (most likely) the normal charge thermostat is broken (sometimes both are combined into one unit) or the heating element(s) are open circuit.