Onoff

3D Printer Enclosure

NozSpark

Here's my latest print....  a 45 deg bracket for some 2208 LED profile

took a lot longer than it should have to design in Fusion 360, but I'm new to CAD and it's quite a steep learning curve

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 23.47.06.png

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

SPECIAL LOCATION
On 28/06/2020 at 18:43, Onoff said:

Did "technical drawing" at school. Well, had it beaten into me. 1st, 3rd angle, 30 & 45 deg oblique...vanishing point, orthographic blah, blah.

That brings back memories...  

I also did Technical Drawing at what used to be called GCE..

Guinness 

Onoff
1 hour ago, SPECIAL LOCATION said:

Guinness 

Mine was GCE Design Technology. Got a C.

Onoff

WELL WHO KNEW!!! 😀

A little something I was wondering about.....I got my lad to open two downloaded files for adapters, one to fit a Worx tool & the other an Einhell/Ozito battery. Plan is to design/print a one piece adapter for a lad on another forum. My boy opened them as .stl files in Fusion 360 just as they came down from the site. Now .stl files are just meshes and I think a pita to edit and change in Fusion 360. 

He then saved them in Fusion as .dwg files and sent them to me.

I opened them in TrueView 2018 and saved them in place as 2010 format .dwg files.

They open in AutoCAD 2010 and are fully EDITABLE! Faces extrude a treat etc.

Rare I find to get such a seamless conversion. I guess it helps all products are from Autodesk. The fact though I can get a solid from the mesh is pretty cool imo. The solid might work for editing in say Free CAD. 

kerching
9 hours ago, SPECIAL LOCATION said:

Guinness 

Mine was O levels. We use quill pens and vellum , slaughtered a squid for its ink

Onoff

Wasn't it GCE O and A level for Ordinary & Advanced?

kerching
1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Wasn't it GCE O and A level for Ordinary & Advanced?

Yep, correct

i had a senior moment

if you were thick they advised you to do a CSE, in which a A was equiv of GCE scrape through

i did CSE, dunno why as I also did O level

got an A in the CSE and a A or 1 in the O level. 😂

hardest CSE question.

fill in the missing units

a kitchen table is   1 ??? Tall

ft

m

kg

joule

°C

makes you wonder

Onoff

I did O Levels. Took 8 or 9 and got just 3 at C grade. 

All boys grammar school. Hated the place. A school reunion for me would be another Columbine. I'd pull the trigger/press the button with glee.

Can't say one good thing about the place. Not strictly true, one master ran the electronics club and would bring in tons of surplus tat. I liked that...and fighting...and fighting. Once hit the PE master but give him his due he was very good about it as the kid I was aiming for ducked. Avoided expulsion by the skin of my teeth in the lower and upper houses. 

I'd have probably been deemed special needs now. ADD and then some back then. It was just termed thick back then!

😂

kerching

Grammar here too passed 11 plus and Entrance exam so,it was all free

also,hated the place!

on the plus side....Girls grammar next door. Taught me a thing or two

Geoff1946

Same here. Fortunate enough to get into a grammar. I can't say I hated it but I wouldn't want to go back either. I knew from an early age I wanted to do something technical, but it was very much a classics school.  I have subsequently appreciated the quality of the teaching of basics, particularly English language. I decided to leave after  O levels for a student apprenticeship (leading to  engineering OND & HND) . 

When I discussed my plan with the careers master he told me I was stupid then never spoke to me again. 

Just one teacher, officially the woodwork teacher, had technical leanings and actually put on technical drawing for a small group of us. I was quite good at technical drawing at the time, and it was a skill which served me well.

CAD however passed me by!  Quite well on in my career I went on a two day course on reading the CAD drawings then being created. This was completely beyond my comprehension and my efforts were frustrated by a lack of keyboard skills.. It was about thirty years ago and I had only had a computer on my desk for a short while.  It didn't really matter in the end. I was managing teams and never really felt the need to read CAD drawings.

Onoff
3 hours ago, kerching said:

Grammar here too passed 11 plus and Entrance exam so,it was all free

also,hated the place!

on the plus side....Girls grammar next door. Taught me a thing or two

No idea how I passed the 11+. 

Parents were always comparing me to my older brother, he did this, he did that etc. He went to grammar so I had to. I wanted to go to the new comp with my mates. 

He's a barrister btw 😂

Andy™

my current print. 24 hours in of estimated 46 hours. longest single print ive done. all to organise battery storage in my van.

DSC_0503.thumb.JPG.093425255d7b783a924ffea9bba17d05.JPG

still got most of the drawers to print yet

DSC_0465.thumb.JPG.c74e96b288ca1e73b238a787e65aaa5c.JPG

NozSpark
2 hours ago, Andy™ said:

my current print. 24 hours in of estimated 46 hours. longest single print ive done. all to organise battery storage in my van.

DSC_0503.thumb.JPG.093425255d7b783a924ffea9bba17d05.JPG

still got most of the drawers to print yet

DSC_0465.thumb.JPG.c74e96b288ca1e73b238a787e65aaa5c.JPG

I guess you go through a fair few button cells then????

Andy™
7 hours ago, NozSpark said:

I guess you go through a fair few button cells then????

yes, and all sorts of batteries. at the moment its bit of a mess, random boxes with AA etc, random bags with other sizes. 

Onoff
On 09/07/2020 at 23:05, Onoff said:

Success! Needed to connect the "3rd wire" from the Makita battery to the Ferrex tool and it runs fine.

Need of course to remodel the adapter and reprint now!

Not all tools need the 3rd wire to run. 

Moral is test odd battery / tool combos with fly leads before designing & printing.

Nards! 🙁

Post above I mistakenly wrote Makita when I meant that attaching the "3rd wire" from a BOSCH Li-ion battery and the hedge trimmer runs just fine without cutting out every two seconds.

HOWEVER...if I connect the "TH" pin on the Makita clone battery to the 3rd pin on the Ferrex tool, rather than running for 2 seconds and stopping the hedge trimmer just doesn't work at all.

Onoff

Continuing the learning curve!

Lad is printing a "connector" to pair two Oculus Rift controllers for one of his mates. A 7-piece print. (Adds a new dimension when you're playing Beat Saber).

Halfway through printing the piece which is now the 'V' in the picture he ran out of RS Pro PLA filament. Switched to Steadytech PLA. The finished print just snapped, with little force, in two, right at the junction of the two different PLAs.

20200714_230205.thumb.jpg.31d44d1430c53216cdc14234b34242ee.jpg

RS Pro on the left (much glossier), Steadytech PLA on the right:

20200714_230300.thumb.jpg.4cd8e332aa1bf4384f7f6ffb44fa01e1.jpg

Onoff

I finally finished my Makita battery to Champion circular saw! (Finished the second set of parts to convert the BiL's one too). The saws were bought with two Nicad batteries and charger, in their own case, years ago, at 75% off marked price for £25 when a Focus/Do It All was closing. Never seen much use as it didn't have much grunt and the batteries died quickly. A quick video at this link:

https://flic.kr/p/2kDdSQh

I do note the saws no load speed is only around 2500rpm compared to say a modern Makita that runs at twice that. If cheap enough I guess I could try a gruntier motor from Banggood, AliExpress etc.

My previous attempt at converting a Rolson ("quality tools 😂") 18V grinder to work with 18V Makita batteries looked like it was a winner until the tool burnt out.

Tried the converted Champion on some 18mm ply at the weekend and it struggled a bit. 

For my next trick I'll be making a converter for this from the corner shop:

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03220/18v-multi-function-tool-bare-unit/dp/TL19690

Onoff
22 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Let me know if you ever do one for the old style makita batteries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-1834-Power-Battery-2-6Ah/dp/B000256RDC

I've got a makita circ saw that runs off those bought years ago, never had much use and the batteries are long past their best!

You want to run it on new style Makita batteries?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-Li-ion-to-for-Makita-Adapter-18V-Ni-cd-Ni-Mh-Batteries-Converter-M-U-/193499504996?

Phoenix

Wow, never know these were commerially available 😀

NozSpark

I have one that allows me to use my Makita Impact driver with my Dewalt batteries

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.b989b3b228c44f2dfe9aff91cc6c2a27.JPG

Onoff
1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

Wow, never know these were commerially available 😀

My chippy mate bought a couple to use new DeWalt Li-ion batteries on his old DeWalt drills same as what you want to do with your Makita. He reckons the "triggers" burnt out in both the old drills. (I hate DeWalt anyway).

Doable, what you want. I'll print the parts if you want?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4463726

I always think the commercial ones are a bit "thick" so if I design them I try and thin that bit down. One of mine, a Makita to {insert any cheapo Chinese make from yesteryear 😂}. I did the models then my lad makes them look real in Fusion 360:

So this bit where the Makita fits in is pretty universal. This gets done as a solid "model" in AutoCAD:

Makita-Rolson_004

Then another model to go into whatever old Chinese thing and they're pretty much all very slightly different! 😤

unknown-1

One way is to take the old battery apart, retain the plug in male bit, spring contacts and just screw to a flat topped Makita "break out" adapter.