DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

House boat earthing system

mojorebel

Question

First postlads

I have recently helped a m8 with his houseboat , after checking with the local council (who had no idea) the work does not come under part P although the boat has to be wired to BS7671). Rather then fitting a A1 Ring final I have gone for 2 x A3 radial fitted with 16A mcb

11 answers to this question

Ive heard of an IT system but what is it, after asking various people nobody has been able to tell me, cheers.

Ive heard of an IT system but what is it, after asking various people nobody has been able to tell me, cheers.

either no earth connection to ground, or a high impedance connection to ground

As canal boats are constructed from steel can an earth not be introduced via the moorings or the boat touching the bank, especially as the boat is wet and probably touching wet ground?

if you earth a boat using DNO earth (or rod), and dont use an isolating transformer, you will get problems (its explained a little in the link in my first post)

I have no idea what you are talking about but Welcome :D

Where in Yorkshire are you?

:D

is this any good?

No idea whatsoever , but welcome anyway !!

Hello mojorebel welcome to the forum................

Boats+me=NO!:(

Caravans+me=YES:D

so sorry I cannot help you...

But that link of Andy's looks useul... is that any good for you?

SL

Thanks for taking the time to post the link - I was already famiiar with the info from wiring matters - thanks all the same- (it does not help - but found it useful as it cleared the question of a floating neutral -no pun intended) I'm in Doncaster by the way

post script - just as a matter of interest - I contacted one of the companies that make the Galvanic Isolator's and sought clarification of how they actually work. I informed them that such a device was contrary to the Wiring Regulations and that Houseboats come under the remit of BS7671. I asked them how they justified selling such devices for Houseboats. They replied "BS7671 is not law is it?" . These people are despicable. After re-reading the information in Wiring Matters - I think that I should be OK to proceed with the Tranny and using the boat as an IT system- thanks evryone for taking the time- great site- I shall use it often

Archived