12v to 220v with 3 pin DIN

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beelady

Reaction score
Hi all, I have found this forum and am hoping that one of your brilliant minds can help me out. Please forgive if this post is in the wrong area, I wasn't sure which to choose.
I have just bought a sensory light that has a built in radio. This is a Philips car radio which when working will make the light sequence flash in time to the music and is used for children with special needs. The problem I have is that the only power source is a 3 pin DIN plug. How on earth do I convert this to work indoors at 240 volt? I have been looking at power inverters but have no idea if I am on the right track.
Any advice would be very gratefully received. Thank you all in advance for your time.
Marge.

I'm unclear, or at least uncertain, what we are looking at here.
Is the car radio and light assembly intended to work on 12 volts? Supplied via that three pin DIN plug?
If so, are you needing a unit to convert mains power to 12 volts DC to run the unit, connecting via the DIN plug?

Do you have any additional information on the unit? How have you come to acquire it without what appears to be an essential accessory?

I'm unclear, or at least uncertain, what we are looking at here.
Is the car radio and light assembly intended to work on 12 volts? Supplied via that three pin DIN plug?
If so, are you needing a unit to convert mains power to 12 volts DC to run the unit, connecting via the DIN plug?

Do you have any additional information on the unit? How have you come to acquire it without what appears to be an essential accessory?
Good evening, Thank you for your reply. This item was bought at auction from a school for special needs children. They were auctioning off a lot of their older but still working equipment to enable them to buy new. I have been to the sellers to ask what was used with this piece to power it but no one is able to help. I just assumed that as the radio is a car radio it would work with 12 volt but would need a different power supply to enable to work in a classroom situation. Many thanks.

You may well be right in your assumption but if there is no labelling or other information I think the safest bet is to have someone look inside to check what it needs and determine the connections of that plug. If you just guess you may do damage by misconnection.

You may well be right in your assumption but if there is no labelling or other information I think the safest bet is to have someone look inside to check what it needs and determine the connections of that plug. If you just guess you may do damage by misconnection.
Good morning, That sounds like a good idea. Typical that "sensible" is usually my second choice.

Is there no product info at all? Even a product name or model number would help with an online search for some manufacturer info.

I suspect it needs a 12v power source and probably a different connector, which would be dead simple to sort out once all the details are known and confirmed, but potentially dangerous to just 'dive in' with no knowledge.

Hi, You are all right of course. I have opened it up to see what's happening inside. I have attached some more pictures. I have been in contact with the original sellers but they are keeping their cards very close to their chest. I think they may be keeping the power source for any new equipment which they are replacing the old with. I want to swap the car radio for a newer cd player which I think is simple enough but am still having a problem knowing how to power it. I think it may be a 240v - 12v inverter but don't really know enough to be sure. Cheers again for all your help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• dome4.JPG
    dome4.JPG
    349.6 KB · Views: 12
  • dome5.JPG
    dome5.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 13
  • dome6.JPG
    dome6.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 12
  • dome7.JPG
    dome7.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 13
  • dome8.JPG
    dome8.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 14
Nice pictures :) Any chance you could take another one, particularly the one called "dome4" specifically the black and silver label adjacent the "black thing" (the car radio aerial?) in the centre. It says "Model, serial number, supply. Then when you have that, you can google for more information.

TBH I am sure it is NOT 12v or even DC, but I will say I bet IF you can get a power supply for it, it will not be cheap. (Probably an odd voltage too :() Have you considered an "all in one disco light" Most of them react to sound.

The "round plug" you have is not a DIN plug,

xlr.jpg
It is an XLR plug.

I can only wish you luck, but now you know why they sold it.

Thank you for your info. I have added a pic of the id plate. I have had a look on the web for the model and serial number but with no more info I haven't had much luck. We bought a couple of bits from the auction, an effect projector which works great but my Grandson fell in love with the look of this one, he thinks it is a space ship. I will see what else I can do. Thank you so much for your time.

Attachments

• dome9.JPG
    dome9.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 9