206 - Procedure & Risk assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atindall1973

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

Being a newbe here and after looking though other threads I realize this is gonna seem like going over old ground. However, that the completed handbooks have been removed I am looking for inspiration....

I have my 206 exam On May 25th and have been given our hand books to complete already. However I am completely at a loss of what to begin with writing regarding the Procedure and Risk Assessment part. I know this doesn't have to be completed right now but the lecturers wish us to make a start on it.... I have hand outs explaining most of this but need a starting point.....

Look forward to any advice that is supplied.

Al.

Hello Al, welcome to the forum..

It has been many years since I dun my egzam's :Blushing

so I don't know exactly what they are looking for...

Some of the young uns who have done it more recent will be able to offer better advice probably....

but as a general rule Risk Assessment is your ability to asses the potential dangers and hazards which could present a risk of injury or harm to yourself, work colleagues, members of public of even damage to property.

Some hazards are specific to particular types of workplace.. others are more general and apply anywhere..

For example:-

WORKING AT HEIGHTS

may be ladders/scaffold/towers/platforms etc..

even with no one on it there may be a risks of a ladder slipping falling over..

(I have had a ladder blow over in strong wind!) this could damage adjacent property, fall on a member of public etc..

So need to consider tying off, securing ladders & platforms, warning signs, bollards & barriers to keep people away whilst work in progress.

Whilst doing the work at heights there is a risk of dropping tools materials etc.. risk of slipping falling from ladders.

Remember except for the simplest of tasks, ladders are considered as a means of access not a work platform.

Those are just a few thoughts on one small topic area, you need to think about some of the common hazards associated with electrical work..

few other thoughts;

TOOLS

Trailing leads.. to power tools or cables being installed.. trips etc...

Hand held power tools.. electric shock

Cutting drilling tools.. brick shards flying off, eye protection etc..

Tools involving heat.. soldering, heat shrink etc... burns etc..

Sharp blades.. cutting and stripping tools.. cuts & wounds etc..

WORKING ENVIRONMENT

Hazardous materials.. e.g. cutting into asbestos!

Vehicles in factory environments.. Forklift trucks.. Overhead Cranes.. Loading bays etc..

Domestic.. Small children, pets, open floorboards, lifting carpets, stairways, moving furniture... etc...

It is really a mater of thinking of all the common sense precautions you need to take to stop you injuring someone, including yourself!!

;) :) Guinness

Hi

Think about the following

Tools required (To complete the assessment)

Materials Required (To complete the assessmeent)

PPE Required (When completing the assessment)

The Correct Safe Isolation Proceedure (GS 38 tester, proving unit, locks, labels and be able to quote and write the proceedure)

Hope this helps

Markysparky

Latest posts