8 on one 3 on the other.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmoore

Reaction score
Why do I have 8 lights on one circuit and only 3 on the other. The 3 are Living room, dining room and downstairs hallway. Would it be better to have them spread more evenly across. Also discovered that the whole house is on one ring and the other thing is that our boiler (oil fuelled) is on that ring as well. I thought most people at least placed the kitchen and utilities on a separate ring.

All the sockets are covered by a 32amp MCB.

Your thoughts.

All the points you make are valid ,but the situation you describe is not in any way uncommon. How many rooms are downstairs ? It possibly may not comply with current regs. i.e. inconvenience or danger in the event of a single fault .would need more info however before commenting...thats not to say it needs upgrading though.

All the points you make are valid ,but the situation you describe is not in any way uncommon. How many rooms are downstairs ? It possibly may not comply with current regs. i.e. inconvenience or danger in the event of a single fault .would need more info however before commenting...thats not to say it needs upgrading though.
There is living room, hall/entrance, dining room, Kitchen and utility room down stairs.

is it anew build? If not how old is the house?

like the op said division of circuits is desirable, but from your description we cannot ascertain what the problem is (if indeed there is one)

Things change Wmoore , consider a late 1950,s early 1960,s house, 4 way consumer unit,

1. All lights

2. All sockets

3. Cooker.

4. Imm.Htr.

No spares . It did the job at the time but things move on, Not many washing M/cs , driers, fridges, Showers in those days.

is it anew build? If not how old is the house?like the op said division of circuits is desirable, but from your description we cannot ascertain what the problem is (if indeed there is one)
The house a two up two down stone cottage over 100 years old, with a lean to

in the last maybe 50 years. Looks like they have just extended the ring main to cover the kitchen and laundry.

so I guess it would of been cheaper to extend the ring main rather than run new wires back to the CU.??

Things change Wmoore , consider a late 1950,s early 1960,s house, 4 way consumer unit, 1. All lights

2. All sockets

3. Cooker.

4. Imm.Htr.

No spares . It did the job at the time but things move on, Not many washing M/cs , driers, fridges, Showers in those days.
sometimes only 2 way - lights & sockets