Accessory Heights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmacd

Reaction score
After the recent accessory heights threads I thought I would post this pic (not my work).

A new partition wall has been created and someone installed the sockets at what looks like 45mm (not even sure its that high) instead of 45cm off the finished floor level.

IMG_0159.jpg

I know its not the typical thing in here but it made me chuckle when I saw it.

Rest of the building seems to have socket outlets over 300mm from floor and mostly surface conduit or GOP boxes.

Maybe I should start a "How to" thread up.

Is the installation domestic or commercial?

I was informed on one job, that Part M didn't apply to commercial.

Is the installation domestic or commercial?I was informed on one job, that Part M didn't apply to commercial.
Its commercial.

Of course it does. Building regulations apply to all structures in England and wales.

At the O2, on the parts we were dealing with, we had to accomodate wheelchair users in the Police room (low work tops), but the server room next door the height of the sockets was 300mm.

I did point this out to the electrical Site Forman, but as I said, I was informed that Part M did not apply.

I thought it was a bit Mickey Mouse myself, as there was no reason why the socket heights couldn't be raised, and it would have saved a bit on materials.

I also had occasion to work on a Hotel, where sockets were installed adjacent to skirting trunking.

Similar thing there, had to install phones at disabled refuge points, but the sockets in the guest rooms were about 200mm off the floor. Cleaner sockets in the halls however were a lot higher.

I wonder how they got LABC to sign that off then.

If you look at Approval Doc M then in sec 0.1 it states the requirements apply if:

a. a non-domestic building or a dwelling is newly erected;

b. an existing non-domestic building is extended, or undergoes a material alteration; or

c. an existing building of part od an existing building undergoes a material change of use to a hotel or bording house, institution, public building or shop.

So you were correct to question the abuse of Part M.

There is a clause in the regulations, and that is where a room or service is not intended to be used by or is restricted from use to the general public or persons not trained in the use of equipment in that area.

In other words if they are not allowed access to that area, by restriction or other, then fixtures may be positioned as required.

An example of this is where a building of several floors which has no lift access, would only come under part M of the regulations on the ground floor.

That's probablly it then.

It's not that commercial is exempt, just restricted access areas.

There is a clause in the regulations, and that is where a room or service is not intended to be used by or is restricted from use to the general public or persons not trained in the use of equipment in that area.In other words if they are not allowed access to that area, by restriction or other, then fixtures may be positioned as required.

An example of this is where a building of several floors which has no lift access, would only come under part M of the regulations on the ground floor.
Do they not then have to put a lift in for all that PC equality fluffy stuff?

Do they not then have to put a lift in for all that PC equality fluffy stuff?
No it comes down to expected use of the building and the costs involved to accomodate wheelchairs, blind or deaf or other disabilities.

This is why most ground floor flats are designated for use by people who would find it difficult to get around a building with stairs and lifts.

Remember that in a fire a lift should never be used.

I think also if the equipment is for a specific use, not for general use, then it can be placed wherever it is required. I believe this is why floor sockets are fine as they are for plugging the PC on the desk into and their use is supposedly restricted to whoever installs the PC.

I think also if the equipment is for a specific use, not for general use, then it can be placed wherever it is required. I believe this is why floor sockets are fine as they are for plugging the PC on the desk into and their use is supposedly restricted to whoever installs the PC.
So very true, an office I was working in had a warning label telling staff they are not allowed to even pull the plug out :)

They had to call the IT department who would send in the electrician.

So very true, an office I was working in had a warning label telling staff they are not allowed to even pull the plug out :) They had to call the IT department who would send in the electrician.
To be fair, after dealing with plenty of office staff over the years I wouldn;t let them pull a plug out either! They might be good at their job, but their excellence often ends at the edge of their desk.