any luck with using yell.com?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
Hi

i had yell.com phone me last night asking if i want to advertise on their website with mediumweight i think it was. They wanted

IMHO it's a waste of money I was on from jan to June and only had junk calls not 1 job offer, so I stopped it

they said it's because I did not have a web site but I would not look at a plumbers website if I needed one.

I was in the top 3 in the local area search so should have been seen

This advertising thing is a difficult one, Builder I work with swears by his Yell website .

First time ever I,m in traditional Yellow Pages ,ELECSA block thingy for two editions , Sutton Coldfield and Walsall/West Brom @

This advertising thing is a difficult one, Builder I work with swears by his Yell website . First time ever I,m in traditional Yellow Pages ,ELECSA block thingy for two editions , Sutton Coldfield and Walsall/West Brom @

I did 12 months on yell and found it to be a total waste of time. Only a hand full of jobs but hundreds of sales calls. :|

I have to concur with the others, total waste of money.

I used them for 12 months (not for electrical, at that time iI built websites),

total number of sales leads = 0.

total number of people trying to get me to advertise with them = (I lost count).

Its just part of a pyramid scheme for advertisers :|

Yell has been a complete waste of time - had more phone calls offering to put me on the front page of google than anything else.

I think the internet is over-rated for getting jobs - people like their electricians to be local.

Yellow pages is a far better bet.

used yell from 2008 intill febuary this year for advertisinf fire alarm company, had some good business from it in the first year and then not much from 2009 to 2010. therefore tryed a small yellow pages add, monitored with cutomer surveys or asked customer where they heard about me from and was impressed with yellow pages.

a fair amount of work, paid for itself in first few months.

not to sure now though, and i find what works for one doesnt allways work for another. such a hard thing, advertising

Yell has been a complete waste of time - had more phone calls offering to put me on the front page of google than anything else. I think the internet is over-rated for getting jobs - people like their electricians to be local.

i have got a few jobs from other national contractors for work in my area from yell.com

Yell has been a complete waste of time - had more phone calls offering to put me on the front page of google than anything else. I think the internet is over-rated for getting jobs - people like their electricians to be local.

I only have the free ads with any of this type of advertiser, however I do find Google good for getting me work..

This last weekend I had 2 call outs from companies who found me on the internet (one was an international fast food outlet and the other was a nursing home)... without my online Google advertising I wouldn't have had any of those jobs and the best part of it is that advertising in "Google Places" is free.

TBH I don't think that the internet is bringing me in loads of direct custom, but it must be somewhere around

I only have the free ads with any of this type of advertiser, however I do find Google good for getting me work..This last weekend I had 2 call outs from companies who found me on the internet (one was an international fast food outlet and the other was a nursing home)... without my online Google advertising I wouldn't have had any of those jobs and the best part of it is that advertising in "Google Places" is free.

TBH I don't think that the internet is bringing me in loads of direct custom, but it must be somewhere around

I find yellow pages pretty good. Yell.com is a waste of time. Your better off having a well optimized website on google and google local and its free.

I Googled "free business advertising"

I now have several pages all FREE and I have to say I do get business from them, nothing spectacular but all bread and butter stuff.

I also find Google my best provider of income and if a potential customer does a Google search for "electrician Ellesmere Port, I am right there fourth down the list.

Right now, I am working on a re-wire which came in via Google but I do get work from the other free places.

I work on the silly principle....."If It's Free....It's For Me"

If anyone knows of a site which will pay ME to advertise with them I would be interested.

I have used yell.com for a few years, upped the ad 2 years ago and was really worth it. Was in NIC box in pages as well just for a presence. Was going to drop it down next year though as I have enough by reccomendation and dont think I would have needed it.

My son has a website for his graphic design business

He was approached by Yell.com when he was setting up the business and was talked into a contract by a salesaman who offered him the earth.

I think he got 1 job through yell.com which didnt even cover the cost of the years contract. He got out as soon as he could and hasnt been back since.