back box fly lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha classic!

Now that is keen, maybe he should of taken a cpc from each t&e to separate terminals, interlinked them and taken a lead from both terminals to the back box!

Think that would of covered all angles!

Ha,ha, done council house upgrades years ago and we had to use the stupid radiator clamps with the 4mm along the skirting, people used to go mad when they saw it!

Dave,

I'm guessing you mean the sockets with "high integrity" earthing, which are designed for high protective conductor current installs to limit the rise in potential in the event of for example the failure of the CPC in one leg of a ring final cct?

Dave,I'm guessing you mean the sockets with "high integrity" earthing, which are designed for high protective conductor current installs to limit the rise in potential in the event of for example the failure of the CPC in one leg of a ring final cct?
No, just a normal 13A socket on a normal ring final. Quite a lot of 13A double sockets have an earth terminal each side. This guy decided BOTH of them needed connecting.

Talking about bonding , the escalation of bonding proved that not too many sparks, consultants, engineers etc fully understood the ( what was then) new concept.

At one stage everything metal was bonded because people were scared of leaving something out . I remember old metal window frames in an office block being bonded , a G/yell X 4mm clipped through all the offices and drilled /tapped hole in every window frame .

I posted this one before , imagine one of those rubber door stops screwed to the floor in office toilets , the ones with a half cup of aluminium giving the rubber some strength ......yep...it was bonded!!!!

Another one on a hospital ward refurb, a low level partition with two hand washing basins back to back , the engineer picked us up 'cos our apprentice had only cross bonded the hot & cold pipes on one side . But its the same pipes ,we said, 10" long through the wall . Don't care , must be both sides . !!!

I tell you , Sparks would strap anything to earth if it didn't salute you back !

I see that all of a sudden , kitchen sink tops are not so deathly important anymore. You could be shot for not earthing a sink top often when it wasn't even there when you were there. But a plumber had no responsibility to do it if he fitted one but any passing Sparks was required to pounce upon it as soon as he saw it .

Lets not be pedantic eh!That's not the issue is it?

There are lots of things people do over and above 7671.

Was just wondering what people's opinions were!

What if only 1 person has been harmed does that mean its ok?
I wasn't being pedantic I was asking a question. We can invent situations that require extra measures to protect one person. You can't protect everyone all the time.

Talking about bonding , the escalation of bonding proved that not too many sparks, consultants, engineers etc fully understood the ( what was then) new concept. At one stage everything metal was bonded because people were scared of leaving something out . I remember old metal window frames in an office block being bonded , a G/yell X 4mm clipped through all the offices and drilled /tapped hole in every window frame .

I posted this one before , imagine one of those rubber door stops screwed to the floor in office toilets , the ones with a half cup of aluminium giving the rubber some strength ......yep...it was bonded!!!!

Another one on a hospital ward refurb, a low level partition with two hand washing basins back to back , the engineer picked us up 'cos our apprentice had only cross bonded the hot & cold pipes on one side . But its the same pipes ,we said, 10" long through the wall . Don't care , must be both sides . !!!

I tell you , Sparks would strap anything to earth if it didn't salute you back !

I see that all of a sudden , kitchen sink tops are not so deathly important anymore. You could be shot for not earthing a sink top often when it wasn't even there when you were there. But a plumber had no responsibility to do it if he fitted one but any passing Sparks was required to pounce upon it as soon as he saw it .
Office block back in the 80's all stairwell hand rails with 10mm bond on each floor, nice little green/yellow pigtail.

Lets not be pedantic eh!That's not the issue is it?

There are lots of things people do over and above 7671.

Was just wondering what people's opinions were!

What if only 1 person has been harmed does that mean its ok?
I wasn't being pedantic I was asking a question. We can invent situations that require extra measures to protect one person. You can't protect everyone all the time.
Fair point Wozz I apologise :)

I used to, back when college hammered it into us until the day I carefully looked at how sockets were made and realised the earth terminal and screws were all connected.

Logical thinking.

What grates me about some of the questions asked here, if you thought about it logically rather than look for what the regs spoon feed you, the answer will come naturally