Ballast

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltrock

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im redoing my aquarium light which involves transferring a new ballast. Does it matter if the ballast output is greater than the tubes?

The output for the ballast is 2x49w whilst the tubes i ve got is 30w. im not too sure if ive just made a massive blunder ><

OSRAM 2 x 49w HO T5 HIGH FREQUENCY ELECTRONIC BALLAST

I have 30w sylvania gro lux pro atm.

What do you mean correct size ballast? im thinking of dimensions

"Suitable for 2 x 49w T5 High Output 5 foot (1449mm) fluorescent tubes" lol the tubes ive gots 3ft, but are you talking voltage? is it a definate the lighting wont work? cause ive ordered it on ebay. and well if its not gonna work...lol

cheers for replying btw

you need to get a ballast that matches the lamp. a ballast rated higher than the lamp will let through too must power and damage both lamp & ballast. and then you will be buying all new gear, because you ignored all advice against it.

btw i really do appreciate the help.

i have 2x30w which i have atm, but the ballasts broken. So im trying to get a new one to replace it. saving 50 odd quid.

yea i know, im gonna try cancel the order of the ballast i got and go with a different one. i'm tryin to upload some pictures if you wouldnt mind helping me get one. but doesnt seem to work. thanks again

I would not think 49 watt tubes will fit as they are going to be a lot longer than 30 watt tubes. I have never heard of 49 watt tubes seems an odd size.

Quick search 49 watt tube is nearly 1.5 mtr long will that fit? Your best bet would have been to go to electrical wholesaler and get them to order correct ballast.