Bathroom Downlighters?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you tell me if it is acceptable to fit a 240v ip65 shower light above a shower or do you have to get 12v ones, also can you fit 240v ip20 spots in the rest of the bathroom, the circuit will be rcd protected and the bonding is adequate.

Help, i am a little confused on the subject.

Hi,Can you tell me if it is acceptable to fit a 240v ip65 shower light above a shower or do you have to get 12v ones, also can you fit 240v ip20 spots in the rest of the bathroom, the circuit will be rcd protected and the bonding is adequate.

Help, i am a little confused on the subject.
Best to get a qualified electrician to come and sort it for you as you will need it to be notified to LABC for a building regs compliance certificate and an electrical certificate.

An electrician will be able to look at you bathroom and check out the exact zone areas for what is or is not permissible.

The concept of zones is clearly defined in the regs.

Have a look here for someone near to you.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/directory-uk-qualified-electricians-electrical-contractors-find-your-local-electrician/2370-find-your-local-electrician-here-list-uk-qualified-electricians.html

Guinness

My two pence worth. NEVER fit 12V downlights. They are the work of the devil. More to go wrong (i.e transformer) they can't possibly be anything other than LESS energy efficient than mains downlights. The lamp connectors for MR16's are rubbish and burn out quickly. And the final nail in the coffin for 12V downlights is some directive discussed here recently where there are plans to phase out some types of MR16 lamps in a couple of years.

So stick to mains GU10's if you have to have downlights at all. Much more reliable, much better connectors, no transformer to worry about.

Re the original question. Don't you think there's a clue in them being described as "shower lights"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your ceiling over 2.25m high?

Most likely yes

If its above 2.25m then its outside of zones and you can put whatever you like in..... So long as its got rcd protection, And remember its from the floor not the bottom of bath or shower tray..... Dote quite get why it's measured from below somewhere ya cannot stand !! What would happen if you had a bath or shower built up so that you could physically touch the lights whilst in shower?? Would make more sense to measure from shower tray or bath bottom to me.....

Anyway, I agree with not putting transformers in and go with mains , LEDs if the customer will go with them....

If its above 2.25m then its outside of zones and you can put whatever you like in..... So long as its got rcd protection, And remember its from the floor not the bottom of bath or shower tray..... Dote quite get why it's measured from below somewhere ya cannot stand !! What would happen if you had a bath or shower built up so that you could physically touch the lights whilst in shower?? Would make more sense to measure from shower tray or bath bottom to me.....

Anyway, I agree with not putting transformers in and go with mains , LEDs if the customer will go with them....
They would have to still be IP rated for bathrooms though wouldnt they??

They would have to still be IP rated for bathrooms though wouldnt they??
If they are located outside of any zone then no. But personally I fit ipx4 thruout the bathroom zone or no zone.

As far as a 240v luminare this is acceptable is zone 2 as long as the ip rating is ipx4 or above. As well as what shed69 is saying.

@Prodave are they not phasing out GU10 240v lamps

I ill attach a pocket guide for bathrooms if I can figure it out lol.....

Old thread resurrection guys :eek:

don't forget that there is a building reg that states that you musn't allow moisture laded air to enter any loft space, I read that to mean that any ventillation must to be to outdoors and that downlighters need to be room sealed

Why are people still using halogens? LEDs is the way forward. JCC7 LEDs are firerated, waterproof (IP65), sound compliant, cool to touch, low energy (7W). Its a no brainer. Too many people get hung up on price. I can get JCC7 for £28.50 a pop plus VAT at local wholesalers and three or four of these in a bathroom ain't gonna break the bank. Halogens indeed. Get in to the 21st century fgs!

Why are people still using halogens? LEDs is the way forward. JCC7 LEDs are firerated, waterproof (IP65), sound compliant, cool to touch, low energy (7W). Its a no brainer. Too many people get hung up on price. I can get JCC7 for £28.50 a pop plus VAT at local wholesalers and three or four of these in a bathroom ain't gonna break the bank. Halogens indeed. Get in to the 21st century fgs!
I could not agree more unphased

sod that price, you been seen off. lamps 50w equivalent, less than £10, IP fitting - more like £5-10

With the sealed LED fittings there is a far greater spread of light compared to the GU10 Lamp LED, and this is down to the GU10 Lamps physical size being about half that of a sealed LED like the Haler's 10W or the JCC.

I have fitted many of each and I'm now swaying towards the Haler's 10W sealed unit at £26 and guaranteed for 7 years with replacement labour also covered.

I will agree halogen is old hat these days. I was surprised when I went to my BIL flat new years eve. Brand new flat all downlights were halogen. There were a few low energy pendants. Are these developers not green  or just tight.

sod that price, you been seen off. lamps 50w equivalent, less than £10, IP fitting - more like £5-10
No binky the JCC7 are quality fittings. The customer pays for them so I don't care how much they are! Like I said, people get too hung up on price. The replacement lamps that swap out with the GU10 are rubbish in comparison. You only get what you pay for. The JCC7 is a fully integrated unit with a 10 year guarantee, no bulbs to replace. If you spread the cost of the fitting over ten years it far outweighs the cheap GU10s or MR16s that you replace every year . The LED equivalents are only intended to shove in existing fittings not to match up with new fittings so you can make hybrids.

Happy New Year! :)

I use jcc7 and have used a few jcc3 but unphased this is quite new technology it may not last ten years time will tell. Remember the IBL fire rated fiasco they had a ten year warranty but ended with the lamp holders burning out. Now IBL have just gone over to the commercial market. It nearly finished that company.

Yes batty thats very true. Having seen the LED seminar at the recent Elex in Cov it is pushing the technology I think to ask an LED to be still as bright after 10 years as it was when first manufactured. I agree with you on that point. Probably more reasonable to get 5 years out of it then longer than that is a bonus. Must admit though very impressed with LEDs and I am sure as time goes on we will see even bettter things to come.