Bg Wtf?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a customer who's tails from head to meter were (are) 10mm, their supplier is British Gas so I called them and asked If they could upgrade to 25mm... yeah no problem and it was booked for today... result!

So going about my business as usual today I get a frantic call from the customers daughter......   The "electrician" came out started the job but said he couldn't finish it and would have to get someone else in then the gas man turns up and shuts off the gas supply????? WTF???

Now I know the customer has some of those ugly old gas fires so there may have been a problem with them? or is this BG holding its customers to ransom with no gas and electricity.

?

Pretty shoddy really.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like to know what the hell is going on there .

So the " Electrician" has left the job after removing the meter tails  and a "Gas man"  has turned up and shut off the gas? 
Yup thats what I got I have no Idea how gas man got involved??? meter monkey must have noticed something?

Will try get more info but customers daughter isn't answering the phone :(

That is just a terrible thing to do, not you BD, but them!

TBH, in this scenario, I would be tempted, to go to the client there & then (if still sober! ;) ) and see what I could do to help, and sort things out.

Is the client elderly/infirm?

That is just a terrible thing to do, not you BD, but them!

TBH, in this scenario, I would be tempted, to go to the client there & then (if still sober! ;) ) and see what I could do to help, and sort things out.

Is the client elderly/infirm?

The client is elderly and is in receipt of some shoddy grant work were trying to sort out for them but there are plenty of people living in the house and family near by.

I was tempted to go but really its down to the supplier and the customer to sort this one out as there wouldn't be much I could do other than bin the meter and put in new tails myself O)

I have had where BG have had to replace tails before but sent wrong guy?  the one who can fit meters but not tails ? Then the tails monkey turns up much later so I hope this is the case but still leaves them with no gas :(

This sounds very much like the electrician sees that there is no gas bond at the incoming gas and calls the gas man to confirm that his regs require it to be at the gas meter, so supposed electrician doesn't reconnect. Gas man isolates gas for safety reasons you understand and customer gets a hefty quote to bring electrics up to standard.

Sounds all too familiar.

Yup thats what I got I have no Idea how gas man got involved??? meter monkey must have noticed something?

Will try get more info but customers daughter isn't answering the phone :(
must have had the phone cut off too !!!

Not another scam ......imagine if you phoned a  large gas supply company with a problem and the girls on the switchboard had been told to say "It s probably your boiler Sir/Madam " .......... as if they were trying to get the most expensive result from each call.

That would never happen , would it ?

I would just have gone and turned it all back on for them, and complained to social services too. They are not allowed to turn off your water, no matter what. In this cold weather, heating would, no doubt, be deemed the same by the courts.

What would happen if you went to upgrade something, and then walked off you would be sued......

If the meter monkey was not happy with something, he should have put it back how it was. If he is not capable of "putting it back" he is not capable of fitting a meter either....

Say you took your car to have a new tyre. The tyre people could not take the wheel off, decide your wheel bearing was not right, and then refuse to put the wheel back on and hide the nuts.......

john...

Update:

So I was right in thinking it was the ugly old gas fires that was the problem but can anyone think of another supplier that would even bother? maybe they would have a sticker?

I thought I may have been the bonding too but its within 600mm as the place has just been re-wired (I've done 2 call-outs already) but the numpties put 6mm in. headbang

As for the electrics the first monkey that came out was scared of the wobbly 3 phase head and ran away another guy came much later on and re-connected.

Job done :)