British Gas = Bunch Of Idiots

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You couldn't write a comedy like the errors & cock ups BG has made in a simple upgrade of a single phase meter to 3 phase. Ryfield was  fitted to a new 3 phase supply they fitted meters to & sealed in June 13. Then new owners of  this central London shop, we fitted out with numerous 3 phase stuff, BG did a 'flow chart' to check all was legit back in Aug and job for upgrade booked. 1st visit guy turns up, cuts seals on Ryfield, "oh no carriers, cant do the job".  BG says to client you will have to get UK Power networks to fit carriers. Client takes numerous pictures (Ryfield not sealed now)  pays for carriers & visit booked. Guy turns up " oh, no carriers, cant do job"  But you were paid to supply them, no i have come to have a look.

Anyhow this comedy routine goes on & on for a total of 5 visits. We are charging the client £260 +vat each time.

Today i visited and took 3 carriers and 6 fuses (3x100 & 3x60  just in case) cos i cant trust these to**ers. Job booked for between 12 to 2  even though client complains this is their busiest time of day. 14.00hrs i phone to say no one has turned up. Phone call back from head office of client at 15.00 hrs, now wait for it............................ Fitter did  arrive but could find no where to park. British Gas health & safety rules are HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO WALK MORE THAN 5 MINUTES AWAY so he left without even a call. 

Also the guy is a lying toad as there were 12 parking bays opposite the shop in a side road empty, which i took pictures of. This job is just inside the congestion charge so the bays are normally empty as people will park the next roads along outside the zone.

They have now booked it for tomorrow PM, visit number 7 FFS

Does this not just highlight the problems of using someone other than your DNO as your energy supplier as we have no doubt all encountered many times (N Power has been the worst I have found so far)

I ALWAYS advise people to stick with Scottish Hydro (SSE) if they are expecting to have work done, as they are the same company as the DNO.

Last edited by a moderator:
other week i priced a CU change. turns out, BG had been round a few days previous to fix a fault on the lights, which also blew the 3036 fuse. they then told them thats its illegal to have the fusewire, and as a 'temporary measure' they would retrofit a MCB into its place, but the CU mut still be changed...

Canoeboy said:
I followed a BG Van today - It had everything listed on the back of it

Plumbing

Boiler

Electrical

Green Energy

And more

I did think they used to just do gas - How things change…..

DynoRod is also owned by British Gas, this may be so they can shift then own 5hite when it becomes a backlog?

Doc H.

Does this not just highlight the problems of using someone other than your DNO as your energy supplier as we have no doubt all encountered many times (N Power has been the worst I have found so far)

I ALWAYS advise people to stick with Scottish Hydro (SSE) if they are expecting to have work done, as they are the same company as the DNO.
We dont have 'a' DNO. Uk power networks have to do anything in connection with the supply up to & including the head. You then HAVE to choose a supplier who will fit the meter and then charge you, such as EDF, BG etc.

Well visit number 7 done & still not connected.  I turned up at 13.35 for the 14.00-16.00  hrs appointment. The BG fitter had turned up at 12.15 had a look and declared    'cant touch the Ryfield whilst its still live, have to pull the main fuse's out, and i cant do that as there may be something important on in the 1st floor flat fed from here' He would not wait for me, even though he was early & was not interested his colleagues turned up unannounced 2 weeks ago and turned it all off including the shop without asking (and no one knows what they did or why they were there).

I had a look in the Ryfield, perfectly safe to work on whist live, still shrouded even with the front covers removed, however BG rules may be they must not,  if they are not allowed to walk  for more than  5 min so working on a board that has a live cable in it must be really bad.  Oh well, another £260 + vat for me.

other week i priced a CU change. turns out, BG had been round a few days previous to fix a fault on the lights, which also blew the 3036 fuse. they then told them thats its illegal to have the fusewire, and as a 'temporary measure' they would retrofit a MCB into its place, but the CU mut still be changed...
Yep had the same today, but the BG clown was only there to price a boiler change.

Im sure Ive told the story of when they came out to ours as the co2 alarm went off,

they promptly informed the wife the house needed a rewire,,,,,,,   :slap

Latest posts