Consumer unit change for ELECSA Assessment - (extending circuits too)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danijah

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm going to do a consumer unit change in my own home and add an additional circuit for my assessment by Elecsa. My current CU is an old Wylex metal clad recessed board and its mounted at 1.5 metres from FFL. The circuit cables are terminated from the top of the CU, as the bottom floor is concreted. I want to lower my new board to 1.2 mteres to the top of the CU to bring it in line with the current height regulations. But my circuit cables are not long enough to terminate into my new board. I'd say I would need to extend each circuits cable by 1 metre, to terminate properly and leave half a metre in the CU for future alterations. Can anyone advise me on how to achieve this safely. I have thought about using an adaptable box or heat shrink but would either of the two be acceptable? All replies will be appreciated.

Thanks.

What regulation requires an existing installation to have a Consumer Unit at 1.2 mtrs?

you may be thinking of Part M building regs but that only applies to NEW installations.

If you'd still want to go ahead, you could always purchase these from our Sponsor:

https://www.wagobox.com/shop/rail-mounted-terminals

As you can see, our member ccfc, did a CU (consumer unit board change) and extended the circuits (ccts) for his ELECSA assessment (which he passed) using the Rail mounted Terminals:

1.jpg

and

2.jpg

You view his photo album here:

Flickr: sillet's Photostream

Or view/read his thread here:

Consumer Unit - CU - Change for ELECSA Assessment - Job

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem mate.... "Like" link on the bottom right of my post, and a "Reputation" in the form of a "Black star shape" on the bottom left of my post. - Click 'em - I dare you. ]:) ;)