Counterfeit stuff!!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought stuff that turned out to be fake??? I need to buy some bearings, and i am a bit worried as ii bought two SKF ones [from different places] and the shades of the colours used in the boxes is different...

I know fake bearings is a BIG problem..

I bought an ink cartridge from Argos one, stuck it in my HP printer, and a message poped up on the screen to tell me that the cartridge was a fake one!!!!!

john...

HUGE problem bearings! Had the same discussion with the Schaeffler guy on a job at work (they do Elges, INA etc).  The fakes are indistinguishable sometimes down to the packaging. Even their experts struggle. A major issue too on aircraft components even.

What's it for, something critical?

I've bought cheap copies but they weren't being sold as something they weren't.  I wanted some bearings for my boys electric Jeep I made. I'd drawn it based on one SKF I already had. Rang Midland Bearings where I get my own stuff from. It was something like £40 for an SKF, £20 for Japanese or £6 for something Chinese.

The light blue ones are Chinese!

P3250052.JPG

And this is as far as it got:

P2140223.JPG

I normally use the 'flat' batteries from my MFT in the kids toys,

Saying that, SWMBO got some Panasonic 10for a quid ones from local value shop and they seem to do ok,  must see how long they will last in the MFT, :slap

How olds the boy, 18? 

Erm.....just turned 17 and got his Provisional! No contest that he'll be driving for real before it's properly finished. Still the grandchildren might get to enjoy it!

Mind he did have some fun in it before I decided it needed bigger wheels. Think I've posted this before

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wNEJr_WdLE4?feature=oembed

Especially loved it at night around the garden with the headlights on!

I bought a MAC eyeshadow palette on ebay years ago which I'm pretty sure is fake. But hey, I got 80 different colours! :)

Also bought a fake No Fear hoodie in Turkey years ago and it was the best quality hoodie I've ever had. It lasted for years, even when I wore it to work back when I was working with horses. 

When first used to buy Dickies overalls in the early 80's they were stamped "Made In Canada". Tough as and lasted for ages. The next lot I got "Made In Turkey" and they were good TBA. The LAST lot, "Made In India". Opened the first pair (52T btw), put them on and the arm fell off. Figuring a dud, put the second pair on and the other arm fell off. Straight back for a refund. Carp!

John,

Not sure how far from:

http://afc-uk.com/en/commercialnetwork/view.php?cat=5&id=42

This you are, but this is where I get all my bearings from, they purchase normally direct from the OEM, so, you should be OK.

I've bought bearings off them that cost over £1k a set for high speed machining spindles, and they have been fine.

It's where I get all my bearings and the like from, and they look after me well at the Swansea branch.