Criminal Overpricing by national franchise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this a kitchen worktop? what is the risk of liquid being spilt on the worktop going down the front of the CU?Doc H.
medium to high

The Spark, apparently cut the Worktop, to fit around the CU. That has even been bodged. :_|

my question is, who is daft enough to pay for work of this quality?

its quite amusing that the confidence of the elec staying on is shown by the number of torches at the ready :slap

Looking at the pictures again, i think this isnt quite what its made out to be.If that CU was installed without taking out the worktop, how the hell did he get the cover on??

Also, why would he bother to seal the top of the CU against the tiles, and not do anything else?
The worktop had been cut from front to back if you know what i mean. Either side of the cu. To get the front off the cu you have to remove the section of worktop infront. You can see the worktop edging either side

tosort028.jpg

You can also see part of a tile leant up against the cu that they left.

The cu is about 4ft from the sink.

So where was the old CU?

If the old CU was completely under the worktop, I can see no reason why the new one should need to be partly above it.

So where was the old CU?If the old CU was completely under the worktop, I can see no reason why the new one should need to be partly above it.
Probably not enough room remember older consumer units were not as tall.

If a recommended spark had done the work he would have got over it somehow but if you employ these kind of companies its all about profit so no time to do a decent job.

Probably not enough room remember older consumer units were not as tall.If a recommended spark had done the work he would have got over it somehow but if you employ these kind of companies its all about profit so no time to do a decent job.
What I don't understand is the old CU must have been under the worktop? and the cables must have entered it with enough length to terminate them.

So why could the new CU not just go in the same place? As long as the cables entered the new CU. they could always be extended with crimps inside the CU if not long enough to terminate.

This job is an outright bodge, and should be in the black museum forum.

I would like to know how the electrician got the front on the board with the worktop in place as most I have worked on has to be unscrewed and then pulled forward away from the back?

Looking at the picture the front off this has to be pulled forward to remove it.

I would like to know how the electrician got the front on the board with the worktop in place as most I have worked on has to be unscrewed and then pulled forward away from the back? Looking at the picture the front off this has to be pulled forward to remove it.
See post 25

I find it hard to believe that a qualified and/or accredited electrician could or would be responsible for such an installation such has been demonstrated here....

The mind boggles at what others installations he has been involved with are like?? If this is he's normal standard of workmanship, he should be taken out of whatever system you have in UK, and the sooner the better too!!!

Any employer or agent for him, should also be brought to book in a court of law, and substantial compensation be given to the owner of this property. .....But from what i can remember of the law, ....it was always an Ass when it was really needed!! I doubt very much if that has changed any

Looks like Mr electric by the sticker used on the consumer unit.Also Mr electric work for homeserve. What a mess ! Rip off !

Make you wonder what the installations this guy put up for his accreditation to his scheme provider were like?? If they were anything like what we have seen here, they obviously are not too bothered about his competency.... Maybe his scheme assessor needs reassessing...lol!! Seriously though, it does make you wonder how many others like this guy (i'm not going to call him an electrician/sparky, he obviously isn't) have got thru accreditation with these scheme providers???

I've just read thru this thread again, frankly i can't believe some of the comments posted here. So how is a 78 year old woman supposed to know of the costs of electrical work?? This guy was sent by her so called insurance company, which to most old folk, will give him a degree of trust and credibility. The fact is, ...that our old folk are being ripped off every day, as they are the ''Prime'' targets of the rip-off merchants and the cowboy fraternities...

Cris_k, ....Are you in some way helping this old lady, to recoup her losses in this despicable rip off ?? If you are, then all power to you my friend. If only there were more like you in this world....

Larnaca, Mr Electric are a fairly large company here, its unlikely that the 'electrician' on this job has had any sorts of inspections to speak of. Homeserve wouldnt generally employ 'one man bands' as they can have so many call outs that a larger company is needed.

AndyGuinness

Excuse my ignorance, as i don't really have much idea as to how and what these scheme providers actually do or provide.

So what happens for these larger companies then, ...is it just the company as a whole that is accredited, without the individual electricians actually being assessed in any way??