Decorative Lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
Hi

Guys im just looking for some advice.

I was hoping to wire some standard halogen floodlights up to a normal household plug.

I was thinking of placing these pointing in an upwards direction inside a marquee that i am decorating, the floods themselves would be covered with a suitable colour theatrical gel to give a wall wash effect.

I have attempted this as a trial but the 500w bulb gets very hot, would there be a major difference if i reduced the buld wattage to say a 150w?

Difference in heat and intensity????

Hi Guys im just looking for some advice.

I was hoping to wire some standard halogen floodlights up to a normal household plug.

I was thinking of placing these pointing in an upwards direction inside a marquee that i am decorating, the floods themselves would be covered with a suitable colour theatrical gel to give a wall wash effect.

I have attempted this as a trial but the 500w bulb gets very hot, would there be a major difference if i reduced the buld wattage to say a 150w?

Difference in heat and intensity????
READ THE MANUFACTURES INSTRUCTIONS !!!!!!! headbang

It will be that bit of paper you may have thrown away with the box...

It will tell you how far away from object the lamp must be placed...

Typically 0.5m or more...

So you can balance your gel about 500mm away.. but NO closer..

either that or get proper lights to use the gel with!!

I would suggest consult a qualified electrician if you are setting up electrical supplies in temporary structures that members of the public may enter into..

:|

Last edited by a moderator:
For your information:

Using theatrical gels with an MR16 35W 12V lamp can cause a fire - I`ve been to the aftermath of one.

The gel melted, and dripped from the fitting onto (what used to be) curtains.

The room was so FUBAR, I couldn`t tell you what colour scheme they had used!

If you need to use gels, you will need the correct holders and luminaires for the job.

Gawd elp us!