Diabolical Manufacturers instructions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1spark

Reaction score
Hi !

Had a job on today finishing off some Kitchen electrics. While I was there the customer asked me to also install one of those cheap imitation plaster roses she had bought, along with a new light fitting all to her dining room.

Here is how the instructions guided you .

1. Remove the bulbholder from the flex on the existing

.light....no mention of Safe Isolation !

2. Drill a suitable hole in the centre of the rose.

3 Apply suitable quick-grip adhesive to back of Rose.

4. Pass the flex from the existing light through the hole in the rose.

5. Firmly press rose to ceiling and hold in place until adhesive has set...

remove the existing wiring terminal cover if causing an obstruction .

6. Replace the Bulbholder onto flex..fit bulb and

switch on.

Note ; in the event of future access being required to the wiring

connections...very rare...simply prise rose off the

ceiling with a sharp knife , and refix when finished !

What an absolutely disgraceful and potentially dangerous set of instructions !...I could hardly beleive what I was reading.

No Matt no diagrams...I suppose they would have been a Joke Too if there had been any

Yes Noz, I did fit it but not as recommended by the instructions.....I did it the acceptable way by removing completely the existing pendant set...passing the circuit cables through the plaster rose and re-terminating inside the chandeleir fixing plate/bowl assembly.......Many DIYers would have followed the Manufacturers instructions though. Must remember to include a Sharp Knife in my Test kit in future !

I'll bet the device was CE marked too!

With instructions like that it shoud never have been...

Thats appalling!

I would expect that trading standards would be interested in that!

A "good" legal eagle could make that out to be a breach of statutory legislation I'm sure with the correct expert witnesses!

There was an email address of the supplier .probably the importer...i did chuck the leaflet in my toolbox after I had finished Laughing ! ...might send them a few facts on H &S Regs and B.S. 7671.....doubt if they would respond to it thouigh.

How about this one then, took me a while to work out what language its in..............
An I correct in assuming That was from a Homebase Store ?

Are they not at present snuggling up with the NICEIC as endorsers of Quakity Control on their Bathroom & Kitchen Electrical Installations ?????

Don't sent it to the manuf' send it to trading std.
May just do that Paul ,along with a copy of the instruction leaflet, and see what they think of it .

Must remember to include a Sharp Knife in my Test kit in future !
Good luck removing one with a sharp knife... when I removed one from the ceiling here there was a cold chisel, lump hammer and various other tools required to remove the damn thing, in many pieces.

It could never have been removed in one piece, even with a James Bond villain's gigantic laser...

No Matt no diagrams...I suppose they would have been a Joke Too if there had been anyYes Noz, I did fit it but not as recommended by the instructions.....I did it the acceptable way by removing completely the existing pendant set...passing the circuit cables through the plaster rose and re-terminating inside the chandeleir fixing plate/bowl assembly.......Many DIYers would have followed the Manufacturers instructions though. Must remember to include a Sharp Knife in my Test kit in future !
Interestingly now we could debate whether you have complied with the Regulations by ignoring manufacturers' instructions! :eek:

Had to laugh at the manufacturer's "instructions" though. I doubt I'd have followed them either.

How about this one then, took me a while to work out what language its in..............
I note that it attempts to say that it should be wired in accordance with Building Regulations. Should your house then be built according to the Wiring Regulations?

I note that it attempts to say that it should be wired in accordance with Building Regulations. Should your house then be built according to the Wiring Regulations?
:Applaud :ApplaudROTFWLROTFWL:D:D

yeah all walls have to be clipped to the joists :D :D:coat

I did e-mail Homebase a copy & asked for a translation ]:) I also told them that wrapping exposed connections in insulating tape is not a acceptable form of enclosure and did not meet the electrical regulations ( Although you can't tell from the diagram, the fitting is spaced off the ceiling by 25mm long stainless rods & you are instructed to fit the connector block there, outside the fitting).

The reply thanked me for bringing these items to their attention & they would pass my comments on to their technical department, that means pressing the delete button probably headbang .