Dimmer switches dying

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Reaction score
I recently changed two dead 2-way dimmers, which solved the fault. Everything was working for about 2 weeks and I get a phone call saying the lights are dead again (my assumption is that the dimmers have died again). I'm about to go back to see what's happened. But if it is the dimmers again, other than a short or overload, what else can kill dimmers?

The lights are all 12V downlighters.

I was going to say that blowing lamps can take out cheap dimmers, but you then went on to say that the lamps are 12v.

So, what is the wattage capacity of the dimmer?

What is the total wattage of the lamps connected?

Are the transformers dimmable?

2 way,,, how is the other way switched?

one just switches and the other dims, I can't remember the total wattage or the capacity of the dimmer, I'll find that out soon. The transformers must have been dimmable because it'd all been working for a few years before I got this call.

Yes I had that. A dimmer feeding two G9 240V halogen lamp fittings. Dimmer was blown.

So I fitted a new dimmer.

Did some other jobs in the house.

Customer turned on new dimmer, another bulb blew and blew the new dimmer.

I hadn't even left the house since fitting it.

I persuaded the customer dimmers were not a good idea for that sort of light fitting, and sent the dimmer back to SF as faulty.

If a bulb blowing kills the dimmer, would an IQ dimmer stop this?

I recently changed two dead 2-way dimmers, which solved the fault. Everything was working for about 2 weeks and I get a phone call saying the lights are dead again (my assumption is that the dimmers have died again). I'm about to go back to see what's happened. But if it is the dimmers again, other than a short or overload, what else can kill dimmers?The lights are all 12V downlighters.
one just switches and the other dims, I can't remember the total wattage or the capacity of the dimmer, I'll find that out soon. The transformers must have been dimmable because it'd all been working for a few years before I got this call.
As is often the case with fault finding questions...

Not enough info collected.....

You imply that you had solved the first fault changing the dimmers?

what was the cause you found?

or do you just mean you put a new dimmer on and lights worked again without actually finding any cause?

how many lamps on each dimmer?

had any of the lamps blown?

or are you saying that the dimmer had just stopped working on its own with no external influence?

what is the wattage of the dimmer? 250w 400w?

(I am surprised you can't remember this if you only changed it a couple of weeks ago)

Transformers?

How many lamps are off each transformer?

Or is it one large transformer powering multiple lights?

What is the rating of the transformer?

What is the max dimmable rating of the transformer?

(some transformers have higher non-dimmed capacity than their dimmable capacity!)?

A short?

a short across the dimmer... this would just make the lights stay ON! and bypass the dimmer

a short at the lights.... more likely to take out the MCB as well IMHO!

Did you do any tests on your previous visit?

or was it just a swap switch, see if the lights turn on a leave?

Anybody know if I am talking to myself? :innocent :tongue in cheek

Latest posts