Dimplex FXL18N only one side working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Reaction score
Had an odd problem with this heater where only one side is giving off heat. I'm not very knowledgeable about storage heaters, but I thought it must be an element, I went away saying I need to look in to it.

But my element idea was thrown out the window when I looked at this diagram:

Dimplex FXL18N/24N

Anyone have any experiences with this model?

The 18N has 3 elements the 24N has 4 elements.

If its only hot on one side it would suggest one or more of the elements have failed.

ok next question, is it straight forward to replace these elements or am I going to have bricks everywhere?

Very straightforward.

Remove outer front cover, usually screws on front bottom edge, remove inner front panel., remove front row of bricks to expose elements.

elements connected into ceramic connectors at bottom.Unscrew terminals, lift out and test continuity 0.8 Kw elements fitted that should measure around 64 ohms on continuity test if ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
One VERY important thing:

BEFORE removing the front, turn off the heater the night before and give the bricks chance to cool down.

It may sound obvious, but I was asked to go and disconnect and remove a storage heater once, only to get there in the morning to find it was piping hot having been on the night before.

One VERY important thing:BEFORE removing the front, turn off the heater the night before and give the bricks chance to cool down.

It may sound obvious, but I was asked to go and disconnect and remove a storage heater once, only to get there in the morning to find it was piping hot having been on the night before.
TBH I'd leave it off for 2 days before doing anything.

I've replaced ones that have been off for 1 night and they were still baking hot

As said watch out for hot bricks, they destroy carpet pretty easily! It should be an element gone down, but I keep getting complaints that these heaters aren't hot all over and have to explain its because of the insulation and gap between the covers.

Just test between neutral and live for resistance and calculate the reading you should get...67Ohms each. The bit at the bottom is just a peak fed fan heater for boosting the room temp...they do convector variants too.