Downlights from below

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
Hello, I require advice on the best way to go about fitting downlights from below. I am hoping the more experienced may have done this. I have been to a job where there is no access to the floor void from above due to the very nice wood floors, which the client has just had stained and polished.... :| .

Anyway could anyone give tips on getting the cables through, joist positioning etc.

Any help / tips would be appreciated, cheers. :x

hmm, we done this in a kitchen just last week.....

Find out which way the joists run, then possition downlights as and where the customer would like them... then check out the plasterboard over the joists, then put the cable rods up the downlight holes and fish from checks to lights, (Ok cables are not in safe zones but with a wood chip ceiling and the customer not wanting to plaster it or rip it down... that was the option). Finaly get coaving fitted to cover the checks made in the plasterboard. There may be dwangs in there but thats just a risk to take in a bridge to cross if you come to that.....

Second option, lower the ceiling

LOL..... dont i look like a prat now...... but am i not rite in saying that cables must be at least 50mm from the surface (Plasterboard). I may be wrong again therefor making myself sound even worse... lol

LOL..... dont i look like a prat now...... but am i not rite in saying that cables must be at least 50mm from the surface (Plasterboard).
That is more for the RCD protection rules. If it's more than 50mm from the surface it doesn;t require RCD protection, if it's less than 50mm it does.

I may be wrong again therefor making myself sound even worse... lol
It happens. ;)

reg 522.6.5 cables installed within of a batten board celling must be positined

that it is not liable to be damaged by contact with celling or its fixing

Done it a few times - take a 4" holesaw to the ceiling under joists, drill joists and run cable... then repair. When a customer is really wants downlights with zero upstairs disruption it's the only way (without dropping the ceiling)

Any good?

Thanks for all your replies. Stoneman your way sounds like a winner, it`s sort of what I had in mind, but I always like to know what others would do, especially when I come across a new situation.

Cheers:x:x:x

Done it a few times - take a 4" holesaw to the ceiling under joists, drill joists and run cable... then repair. When a customer is really wants downlights with zero upstairs disruption it's the only way (without dropping the ceiling)Any good?
How would you patch if it is an artex or a woodchip ceiling?? patches stand out like a sore head on both of them...... even on smooth plaster board a patch stands out 9 times out of 10.

Done it a few times - take a 4" holesaw to the ceiling under joists, drill joists and run cable... then repair. When a customer is really wants downlights with zero upstairs disruption it's the only way (without dropping the ceiling)Any good?
+1

How would you patch if it is an artex or a woodchip ceiling?? patches stand out like a sore head on both of them...... even on smooth plaster board a patch stands out 9 times out of 10.
If they don't want to have the floors up and want downlights you have to do the best you can, say its the decorators problem take your money and run.

re-attach cutout to ceiling, and you should be able to make good the gap with some liquid trunking

artex may be easier to 'hide' than smooth, since less likely to notice its been filled

I have done this job many times

Firstly make it absolutely clear to the customer that they will need to hire a proffessional decorator to redecorate the entire ceiling after the work, Once they accept that bit the rest is easy.

Locate the edge of the joists which need passing with a sharp pointed tool. Drill or cut out a good sized hole next to the joist so you can drill through with a long flat wood bit. When the wiring is finished fix back all the pieces of plasterboard with short pieces of timber. be sure that screwheads can be filled over.

If ceiling is redecorated properly by a proffessional no one will be know you've been there.

Cutting out plasterboard across the joists & notching is more difficult, leaves more mess especially if fixing screws are located on the piece you are trying to remove (they usually are) & cables will not be in prescribed zones.

The above is more difficult on a lathe & plaster ceiling but i still use the same method

Making repairs to the ceiling is the only way out and a good plasterer :^O can make the repairs virtually invisible. Believe me I've seen it done. The customer is happy that they have their lights and you are happy when you get paid..Job done!! :run

Update.

I made several four inch holes between the joists;\ to get across the ceiling. I rodded down the voids to each downlight hole. I popped the cutout disks back in and the client was really happy:)

I was even happier as they are having several rooms redecorated, so client said to leave it to the decorator to make good.....Result. :^O

Thank you all for your input. :x :x