E7 Neutral Switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi - just been dealing with a 3 phase dual rate digital meter - and the control wire for E7 is switched to neutral to activate the E7 contactor. Surely this is not to BS7671!  Anyone had any experience of this?

Yes. Recently had a property where the old meter was neutral switching to 3 contactors feeding 3 flats night storage heaters.

G4S came in and fitted new 3p meter which just switched outputs of meter thus rendering contactors useless.

Took several visits and phone calls to G4S, British Gas and SEB to find out why they weren't working, to find out old meter was neutral switching and G4S monkey had just stuck it in without checking.

I know, but then the original install is 1960's, so guess it was the norm then.

Its only a small fire wire which came from the old E7 time clock, so no loading as such, but agreed, why neutral?

That's the electricity board for you though, make there own rules up, and as its 'their side', not my problem.

I found this out last year when replacing a landlords 3ph meter. Had to  phone the meter  supplier as i  couldn't work it out and no instructions were supplied . I suppose until fairly recently this would not have been under BS7671 as it would have been on the supply side.

Most electronics switch the neutral (or negative) so i guess thats where this comes from ?