Electrics In The Kitchen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mohw99

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a new kitchen installed. I want 7/8 spotlights in the kitchen (currently I have just one main light), the cooker moved slightly (about 10cm) and the sockets to be moved to one section of the kitchen (they are currently scattered around). I also have the wires on the outside so these need to be moved into the walls. My electrician (fully qualified - friend of a friend) wants £300 for labour ex parts.

Is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Local kitchen company I work for would pay me @£280 just to install your lights so I think it's safe to guess you are getting a reasonable deal

How many sockets will be moved/replaced?

Will he be issuing certificates?

Will he be notifying this job?

Are you paying him cash?

If the answer is no to the first two and yes to the last then that is why it's a cheap job

Thanks guys for your advice.

I need him to move four switches.

He did not mention anything about certificates or notifying the job (are these a legal requirement?). I will check with him.

300 for a kitchen?? try 700-900 pounds . 300 is v cheap. ppl like that who do us out of work lol

When you said move a few sockets and fit some downlighters I thought it sounded about right.

When you start adding move 4 switches it's sounding way too cheap.

do check the certificates and notification down there in part P land.

I remember a customer randomly spawning a "while you're hear, can you move this 4 gang lightswitch 3m across the wall" 4 hours later...

Too cheap, make sure he's certifying and signing off

if fully qualified certs should not be a problem, if he is registred with a scheme like NIC EIC then he will be able to notify easily enough. if not registred then you could notify through building control but that will cost you around £100.

Before reading Steptoes post I was about to say for your work, fully tested certified and building regulation compliance certificate issue I would think anywhere around £400 - £500 to be a more realistic figure. I am basing this on the assumption that two visits may be needed for a first fix & second fix whilst some other trades do their work? And to confirm that all electrical alteration work in a kitchen comes within the remit of Part P building regulations which is a statutory obligation to ensure the work is correctly installed, tested, commissioned and certified.

Doc H.